𝙊𝙉𝙀, 𝘼𝙇𝙒𝘼𝙔𝙎 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝘽𝙍𝙄𝘿𝙀 . . .

. . . and never the wife. 01.

THE SUN HANGS LOW in the horizon, the lights of the city beginning to take precedence over the celestial bodies

THE SUN HANGS LOW in the horizon, the lights of the city beginning to take precedence over the celestial bodies. Nightfall approaches, yet Hamada Yuriko begrudgingly checks in for her shift.

Now, don’t be mistaken, Yuriko loves her job. She can even go as far as say she adores it ─ it’s just hard to find anything good about it right now, given her current… circumstance.

“Same clothes as yesterday,” she has to actively fight back the eyeroll that threatens to cross her face when she hears his voice. Because, yeah, of course he would be the first person she sees tonight. “Interesting.”

There stands the devil in white─for even under the harsh, artificial lighting, he manages to command the room as if it bent to whatever his will says it should bend to. “What are you trying to insinuate, Doctor Chishiya?” She dares him with a raised brow.

He hums, another habit of his she’s grown to hate, keeping his hands firmly in his pockets. “I’m insinuating nothing, Doctor Hamada. Just observing.”

“Observe quieter. From a distance too, preferably.” She snaps at him, slipping her arms roughly in her own coat. Yuriko just can’t─catch a fucking break today, can’t she?

“Someone’s snippy.” Chishiya, for the lack of a better word, observes, keeping a barely-there smirk at bay. “Ah, I get it. You got dumped.”

And, oh, she hates that he doesn’t hesitate. That his eyes look so proud at his proclamation, as if he already knew he was right. Yuriko hates that he doesn’t have an ounce of shame in him, that he thinks that he could never be anything but right.

Most of all, she really fucking hates that he’s never wrong.

“Same clothes, hostile attitude, the fact that you took off the ring?” He chuckles. The thing is, Chishiya doesn’t chuckle like most people do. He isn’t humorous, even way back in university he’s had a stick far up his ass. He doesn’t chuckle like anything amuses him, he chuckles like a man who’s never been happy for a single day in his life.

Her thoughts stop after reaching that point. Thinking about it too much made her feel bad. She doesn’t want to feel bad for him.

“Leave it alone, Chishiya.” She settles for a sigh, admitting to herself that okay, maybe she should’ve at least stopped by her mom’s to wash her hair. It was getting greasy, and her pride wouldn’t allow her to enter their─her apartment so soon. “What I do in my personal life does not affect you.”

“Maybe so,” He trails after her, though he makes it look like they just happen to be walking in the same direction instead of him actively following her. “But how you present yourself affects the whole hospital. You look embarrassing.”