𝙏𝙒𝙊, 𝙏𝙊 𝙇𝙄𝙑𝙀 𝘼𝙉𝘿 𝙏𝙊 𝙎𝙐𝙍𝙑𝙄𝙑𝙀 . . .

. . . in the boiling death. 02.

YURIKO WAS NEVER GOOD at being alone

YURIKO WAS NEVER GOOD at being alone. She likes talking. She likes being talked to. Hell, she’d even prefer being talked about. She was never of the opinion that silence was better than noise. In her head, if she never heard it out loud, then it wasn’t real.

Now, this begs the question, if she screams in this desolate world and no one hears, does that mean she’s not real? Or was it only this world?

Under different circumstances, she would’ve scoffed at the question. Both were real. It was nonsensical to think otherwise. Yuriko was not one to get philosophical for any of that existential bullshit. She is as real as the blood in her veins, as solid as the muscle underneath her skin.

However, her beliefs are at odds now. The facts are laid out, raw and bare.

Everyone is gone. Gone, state of life pending. She shouldn’t assume dead. Shibuya Crossing is empty like it’s never been. Nothing that runs on electricity works; she hasn’t seen a drop of water since her arrival (disappearance?). She’ll have to look for gas-powered vehicles and stoves ─ she’s got a working theory that they may be the only thing that’ll work here. She hopes she’s right.

The day had long faded into evening, making the city look darker than it’s ever been. Shibuya hardly compares to the City of Lights (she’d imagine) but it was nothing to underestimate, either. By this time, the nightlife of Tokyo would be prevalent in the streets. There would be kids hanging out near convenience stores, young adults looking for a good time in one of the nearby clubs with loud music and neon signs. She never cared for the noise, for the lights.

Now, she feels as though she took them for granted.

What she wouldn't give to see everyone again. Everyone, for all that it stands for. Strangers, criminals and crooks, just─anyone. Anyone at all.

Her mother, if she were given the liberty to choose. And her uncle. Aguni too, of course. Though it’s only been twelve hours at best, she’s missed them dearly. It’s not like she had anyone else. Kaede wasn’t in her life anymore, so, naturally, that meant that his friends were out too.

She’s back to being strictly family, and strictly work. It’s a little lonely, but nothing she hasn’t felt before.

Yuriko climbs to the roof of her mom’s apartment, surveying whatever she could see from a considerably high area.

She found stale crackers in the cabinet, so she decided to take her chances with it because it may just be the only edible food she’ll eat in the next few days. Everything else was rotten to their core.

It just… doesn’t make any sense. Time passed by differently, but with what criterion? Has it been years? The flora and fauna of Shibuya had never looked better, if she allowed herself to think about it, so it was obvious that a significant amount of time had already passed. Weeks, if she’s optimistic, months or even years if she’s not.