Enemy Lines

Shepherd John knew it was a close call and the grace of him not getting caught lay in the power of matrimony.

His wife was a prophetess with the spirit of discernment. He suspected what she could feel at that moment when he stepped out of the mists.

He had seen the suspicion run fleetingly through her gaze before her awe of him trickled in and swarmed her doubts all away, but he didn't know for how long this charade was going to keep up.

He loved his wife, Dawn's Puff, as she was still as much in love with him as he was with her.

She must have been so blinded by it that her inquisitive expression had immediately turned to adoration.

Shepherd John knew that he had a limited time before he was discovered, not only by her but especially Apocalypse, if not no one else.

That man was too suspicious for his own good, so that he hardly had close friends, but Dawn's Puff.

The Holy Spirit would stir Dawn's Puff and then what would he do?

Waving his worries away from his mind as he saw his wife's retreating back, he made his way to his flock.

The charade of marching about the terrain was over and it was time to depart.

He needed to do something about Shepherd Merriboth's flock as well. They would need someone when he never returned.

Dawn's puff couldn't shake off the feeling of the chill emanating from the dark mist, which settled through her spine and wouldn't leave.

When she touched her husband she had felt the familiar warmth and respect, which she reserved entirely for shepherd Merriboth. He had been her mentor when she first came into the fold, guiding her through the Holy Scriptures.

Once in a while, after several years of solid relationship, she still needed his guidance.

She shook her head, wondering why she would be thinking of these things so suddenly. It couldn't have been anything.

Besides, she needed to go shopping as she was free.

While she thought distractedly about this, she saw a woman step out of the mist.

It occurred to her that shepherd Merriboth would step out shortly, but saw no one.

The girl's face was unfamiliar. When she looked around she realized that everyone had dispersed and had now gathered into their different flocks under different shepherds, except shepherd Merriboth's flock, which was now herded by shepherd John, her husband.

It was a long day and the evening was setting upon them, so that with a last wave Dawn's Puff's suspicions were soon discarded from her mind.

Shepherd John watched his wife all along, while tending to his flock, ensuring that they were all accounted for.

The ones who were usually lost and never found had a candle lit in their honour and their names submitted to the prayer groups.

His chest twisted with the thoughts running through his mind. "What would he do, if Dawn's Puff pieced two and two together and the prolonged absence of shepherd Merriboth. His actions were unthinkable even to him and those with the spirit of discernment grooming and mature could sense his great light.

Truly, there was something changed about his disposition. He felt more paternal, but stronger.

He felt that the change was too fast if his natural growth was to be evaluated by his father.

Shepherd John needed a plan.

He needed a justifiable excuse to help support his greater anointing and therefore, shaking away the doubts that could crop in when shepherd Merriboth never returned.

Moreover, he needed to set Lord Fahrenheit's plan into motion.

A hand tapped his shoulders.

It was Stephanie, a disciple of shepherd Merriboth.

He couldn't recall the last time he came across her, but there was a familiar singularity about her.

Her eyes were vacant, but watchful and she startled easily.

He knew right away that she had struck a deal with lord Fahrenheit. "What did you offer him for your soul?" shepherd John demanded.

She took a while speaking, holding her breath, when she bit down on her lower lip. "I wandered into the mist all of twenty seconds, when Lord Fahrenheit held me within his tentacles, but he told me that my light was familiar..." she took in a shaky breath.

"You forgot to breathe out." Shepherd John reminded her, placing a large palm on her back and giving it a rub. "Keep speaking, I am listening." He assured her.

She held back a sob. "He let me go and sent me to you. I am to assist you, if I don't want to become a forsaken. I am to report to him on the next march... I have a headache."

Shepherd John knew the familiar feeling as it had been what happened to him when he was first turned.

He knew what it felt like when the fog was filtered into the mind. "You are one of my own now."

He guided her towards a building, which also happened to be his division.

His office was situated there. "What you need, Stephie, is a glass of water and a little rest. I am working something out." He told her.

The rest of the walk was quiet, with Stephanie's body calmer, but still showing signs of fainting.

After they arrived into his office, he flicked the board at the door to "Counselling, do not disturb" and then shut the door.

She sat her down on the guest seat and poured out a glass of water for her to drink.

He almost smiled, watching her gulp it down and silently demand for a second glass.

His amusement soon turned into a grimace, after continuing the ritual two more times. He had been mentally stewing through for a plan to save himself and now Stephanie from being discovered, especially by the prophets.

The prophets were now an extinct breed, but the long awaited prophecy had been that there would be two witnesses at the end of the days and everyone believed these two to be Apocalypse and Dawn's Puff.

They were untouchable because of this, in addition to their sharp discerning spirit, plus the gift of revelation.

Shepherd John released a whimper; bringing the curious eyes of Stephanie on him. By this time, Stephanie's vacant stare had life reflecting through her grey eyes. "Is everything okay, Shepherd John?" she demanded.

"My wife is more trouble than I thought. I can't allow her sleep tonight." He exclaimed.

"Why is that?" Stephanie wondered.

"She dreams about everything and I know she would pray about Shepherd Merriboth tonight!" he shuddered.

"That is a dilemma." Stephanie realized. "How will you be able to pull that off without looking suspicious? You can't ask her not to sleep."

"Of course, I can't." he said. "I need to come up with a plan to either stop her from falling asleep, or to make sure Apocalypse doesn't know about this."