The Jobs

I woke up earlier than everyone else so i decided to go outside and go look outside a bit. As i leave homestead i look outside and see the maze doors still closed 'I wonder its like out there', I start walking around just taking in the place, It looks way bigger without a bunch of people around. As i'm walking i hear footsteps behind me, i turn around and see Minho. " what the shuck, dont creep up on people" I look like at him, he just has a weird old smirk on his face. "Sorry greenie, why are you out here so early" He looks at him dead in the eyes, its quite unsettling. "Dunno, just woke up and decided to walk around" I shrug. "Well no ones going to be up for at least another 5 minutes" He looks back at the Homestead. " oh okay, why are you up" I ask him. " Me and the other runner have to be up before the maze doors opens to run them, i just like to wake up extra early" He looks back and me and then glances at the doors. "okay mr runner" I look at him and just stand there not really knowing what to say in this conversation. 'God this is getting awkward' I thought he would say something after i said that but he just stared at me in silent. " You gonna say something or is my beauty distracting you" I say. As he was about to say something Frypan walks out of Homestead and calls to Minho. Minho looks at him and glances at me before saying "Why dont you join us runners for breakfast, since your already up" And then he runs off.

   After a few minutes the other runners start to wake up and head to the seating area,i start walking over there but not knowing what to do before Minho appears beside me, "Dont just stand there greenie, come eat" He grabs my arm before dragging me to Frypan. 'Jesus christ he has a strong bloody grip' He lets me go and grabs his food. Frypan hands me some but not before asking why i'm up early. Minho leads me to a table with Ben there, He sits opposite Ben while i sit next to him. Him,  Ben and me start having a great conversation in my opinion, we're laughing and making jokes. It feels like i know them but i have no memory of them. 'Maybe i knew them before the maze' i mean i could've i have no clue what life was like before, and  technically for me my life has just started.

  Me, Minho and Ben finish up eating, Frypan hands them and other runners their lunches and water bottles, i decide to walk them to the maze door, I watch them open and then see Minho and Ben run away but not before waving and shouting bye to me. I head back to homestead and head to my room to just sit and stay into the abyss, I hear other gladers wake up and start to head out. I hear a knock on my door as i walk up to open it, i see newts smily face on the over side. "Morning greenie" He said smiling. "Morning newt" I look at him smiling back. "You might wanna come down soon and get some breakfast before you start the day" He says motioning his head toward the stairs. " I went and got breakfast with the runners earlier" I say. "Oh well okay, i'll come get you after i finish and tell you, your jobs today then" He looks quite disappointed but he shrugged it off. "Okay bye newt" I smile at him as he walks away. After only been here for nearly a day Newt has been really kind to me, so has Minho and Ben.

   After the gladers finished their breakfast Newt came and got me from my room and took me outside. "Alright so first you will be working as a Track-Hoe with Zart the keeper" He pointed at the guy who's digging up some dirt. "Then you'll be with cliff and Jeff as a medjack. He pointed to the med hut i assume. "After Lunch you'll be with the builders, Gally is the keepers so i wouldn't piss him off if i was you" He pointed at the builders across the place. "And ill tell you the other after, now lets get you to Zart" He smiled and walked you to Zart.

  Being a track-hoe was that bad, you was sweating a lot due to it being warm and the hard you, you only wondered how bad your going to be sweating as a builder. "Hey Greenie" Zart calls to you. You replied with a "Mhm". "Would you be a dear and get some fertiliser from the woods" He holds a bucket to you. "Uh okay" I grab the bucket and set the shovel i was using down and begin to walk to the deadheads, it was quite a peaceful walk. I get to the deadheads and look in, i haven't been near this place yet and Jesus does it look like a place that would be haunted, i was debating if i should go in there but i knew Zart would be pissed if i didn't so i sucked it up and went in. I walked for a while trying to find fertiliser, 'This place is shucking huge'. As I'm walking a hear a noise behind me, i look behind me and see nothing 'strange', i continue walking further and further till i hear a noise again, this time when i look back i see something a small little beetle creature on a tree. "What the" i look at it closely, it looks like it had writing in it. And then i saw it, the words that looked so familiar to me

'WICKED'

   Why would a bug have written on it, it made ho sense. The creature flew away and i just watch if before it disappeared. I continue walking thinking about it, "I'll ask Newt about it later". After a while i finally found the fertiliser but not realising that i do not remember the way back, 'well shuck'. I start walking and after a long time i did make it back to civilisation. "Thank god" i mutter as i begin walking back go Zart before giving the bucket to him and literally collapsing on the floor. "Look who made it back, thought you was dead" Zart said looking at you while picking up the bucket. "Wish i was" I mumbled into the ground while enjoying the cold air that washed over me. "Here Frypan came around with some water a few moment ago" I looked up to see him handing me water. I drank that water so fast, the cold water tasted to good in my mouth. "I needed that" i say to Zart. He just chuckled and goes back to work. I stand back up and go back to working not without joking with Zart and some other people there. A lot of gladers here are nicer than i expected.

  After a while Newt appeared by my side, "Alright greenie time to move on" He waited for me to say good bye to Zart and the rest of the Track-Hoes before leading me to the med shack. As i enter i see three boys in there, one sitting on a chair in the corner organising a draw, on sitting on a bed while the other is bandaging him up. "Hey cliff, Jeff." Jeff who is the one organising looks at us and comes towards us while Clint mutters a small "hi" before focusing on the boys hand. "Hey newt, Greenie" Jeff spoke to us with a big smile across his face. "Greenie here will be with you guys till lunch, okay" Newt said. "Yeah okay" Jeff said looks at me and back at Newt. "Alright I'm going to leave now, have fun Greenie" Newt looked at me before leaving. I look at Jeff as he motions me over to the draws he was at earlier. "Alright i'm going to explain everything to you and then you get to help us bandage people or just sit and observe" He says looking at me. "Okay" I smile at him, 'This seems like a peaceful job'. It's nearly lunch time but this job has been very nice to work as, I've leant what a lot of the stuff does and I've even helped a couple of slicers and builders. It was very quiet so i did talk to Clint and Jeff and their both very friendly and fun to talk to. As we walk out of the med shack we walk to lunch laughing, we get our food and they head off to different tables while Newt waves me over to sit with him and some kid named Justin.

  "So Greenie how's the jobs been" Newt asks taking a gulp of water. "It's been great, i've really enjoyed being a medjacks" I say before taking a bite of my food. Newt hums as he eats.  Me and Justin have a conversation while Newt talks to Zart who has joined us not that long ago. I remember the bug i saw earlier and I remember i wanted go ask Newt about it. "Hey Newt" I look towards him. "Yeah" He stops talking to Zart and looks at me. "What is those weird flying beetles bugs that have those strange letters on him". I ask before taking another bite of my food. "Oh those, Their Beetles blade.Their harmless unless you provoke them, Alby says the creator watch us from them" He says looking dead at me. 'Creators?' "Anyway, Lunch is almost finished and remember you got to be with the builders." He smiles and goes to put his dish away. Zart and Justin leave not long after leaving me with my thought before i head to go find gally.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

A/N

Sorry if its bad, im writing this at 2:40am and ive been awake since 8am