PROLOGUE

Vampires or cold ones were cursed. Forced to live eternally chasing blood highs to survive. They were the perfect predator. Their enchanting appearances lured humans in, their enhanced senses helped them feed.

Many lived their eternal lives alone, nomads, others joined groups and created covens. Their different gifts and personalities brought them a fake sense of security which was a rare pleasure in their lives.

Perhaps someone or something of higher power took pity on them. It gifted them blood singers which would give them a sense of thrill and euphoria though only for a short while as they were at most a drug.

The most craved treasure was a soulmate. Someone who would fill the void within their dead hearts, become their eternal euphoria. They were treasured and adored, the bond between two soulmates was forever binding.

The rulers of the vampire world, the leaders of the Volturi had seen thousands of soulmate bonds form and break, they've defended soulmates and have fulfilled death wishes of those whose soulmates have been lost.

Marcus Volturi had felt and seen the bonds through his gift and all he wanted was to see that golden bond that connected him to his own love but with every passing year his hopes dimmed. Slowly he became but a shell of himself, choosing to hide within his mind where he would imagine the feeling of being with his other half.

Caius Volturi had an artistic soul which he could express through his art, but he was also a tyrant, something which he had to become to survive. He was a romantic something which no one but his soul brothers knew and after decades without his soulmate he grew angry, frustrated and so he gained the reputation of a cruel king for fighting with force to make up for his lack of gift.

Aro Volturi was a little insane but just a little. If you had to rule over the uncontrollable vampire world you would be as well. Being slightly insane helped him rule, it helped him deal with the death of his sister at the hands of the enemies and it helped him cope with the emptiness at his lack of soulmate.

Soulmates appeared to be such a serious and powerful idea but just how powerful were they?