An introduction of sorts

beverage: noun

/bev-uh-rej/'

(chiefly in commercial use) a drink other than water.

eg: Coffee is a refreshing beverage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you're a writer, there are several things you have to keep in mind whilst writing a story.

Characters

Before you start writing, know your characters well. A main character should have at least one flaw or weakness. If you're going to write a book about a guy who works in a non profit organization for underprivileged kids during the day and puts together fund raisers for charity whilst volunteering at the local soup kitchen every other weekend and taking in animals from the rescue shelter, you might as well give him a nasty nose picking habit to balance the scales.

Theme

Themes are important messages that the readers can take away from the story. Like, don't steal bread, or check your lover's wrist for a pulse before you kill yourself, or don't sign a bond with your mortal enemy which gives him full power to HACK off a pound of flesh from you body.

Plot

The plot is often a struggle or a conflict that the main character goes through. In recent times, it is either trying to survive in a dystopian world, finding true love in a world shrouded by deceit, trying to come to terms with your lover's 'singular taste' and, everybody's favourite, cancer-stricken-star-crossed poetic romances.

And finally, Puns.

Every story needs a buttload of puns in order to make it worthwhile. A story without puns is like a blunt sword. Pointless.

And for an amateur writer like me, those are the rules one should live their life by. Also, again for amateur writers like me, there is subtle fifth important thing to keep in mind whilst writing a story. The location of the nearest starbucks.

I don't know why, but it is physically impossible for my mind to be at rest until I get my caffeine fix from the first glorious plastic cup of coffee handed to me by a chirpy starbucks barista.

So, with these few points to note stored safely in my memory, I left home with a smile on my face, armed with nothing but the money in my purse, my trusty laptop, and the ideas in my head. Ready to take on the world, ready to write the next best seller.

That was a year ago.

Now I live in a small dingy apartment, with a kitchen just wide enough for a dishwasher and a refrigerator, buy clothes at Primark sales and share my bed with a four year old corgi with a choppy ear. And my best seller? Still work in progress. Very, very, slow progress.

Like, glacial speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey, guys, I just want to tell you that this is my first attempt writing a story like this, and I really hope you like it. Constructive criticism is welcome, and I'm pretty sure I'll need it.

Hopefully I'll be able to make updates frequent and the chapters will be much longer than this. Please comment if you've read this because i really want to know what you guys think.

Arrideverci :)

-Me