Chapter Fifteen

Techno had instantly let go of Dream, his sword out and ready to devour anything that stood in its way, but the damage was already done. Quackity stepped away from behind Purpled, a wild smile decorating his face that could be seen from miles away. The kid slumped over, kneeling on the ground, and Punz grabbed him under his armpits before carrying him away from the paragon falcon.

A confused mixture brewed in Dream's stomach, although he didn't know what he was feeling as he ran over to his friend.

"Purpled! Hey, listen, hear me out! Buddy, I'm right here, are you okay?" Punz spoke quickly, although his voice wavered a little bit. He carefully set his little brother on the ground, and pushed against his chest to make him lie down, but Purpled gasped.

"My wings!"

Punz's icy blue eyes hardened. "What about them? What happened?"

"I-I can't move them!" Purpled looked up into his brother's face and Dream felt a pang in his heart when he saw the fearless purple eyes glistening in the dim lighting. The dragon roared up in the sky, and her wing beats were beginning to be heard, but everybody ignored that.

"Okay . . ." Punz carefully flipped his brother over, his pale face even whiter, and Dream gasped, finally understanding the feeling in his stomach.

The shiny, large purple wings that had so bravely carried the warrior were mangled and twisted. Feathers stuck out in every direction, and whenever one of them twitched, Purpled winced and tried not to flinch.

"How . . . bad is it?" he asked through gritted teeth, his hands balled up into white fists.

Everybody stayed silent, glancing at each other. Even though Dream hadn't been an avian for long, he knew the dreadful answer.

"Sweetie . . ." Niachu began, fixing her hair. "I . . . I'm afraid you won't ever be able to, um, fly—"

"WHAT?" Purpled's cry rang through Dream's ears. "Punz, tell me she's lying!" His voice wavered, and Dream stretched his hands out, looking away. He felt a lump in his throat beginning to form.

"I don't know, Purp. I don't know. Dream!" He looked up into the man's wide steel blue eyes. "Watch over him for me, please."

Dream nodded and moved forward. Purpled reached out and gripped his hand, and if it nearly broke some bones on his hand, nobody was going to know it.

"I'll be back, Purpled." Punz said, his voice slightly agitated.

The kid watched him go, and while he tried to even his ragged breathing, pain still filtered through his purple eyes. Techno squeezed Dream's shoulder before moving off with Punz, and the two female avians stood in front of the kids, their wings tucked safely behind them and their swords out.

"Dream?"

He gave him a small smile. "Yeah?"

"I'm scared. What am I going to do if I can't ever fly again? Who am I . . . I mean, what do I become now?"

Dream blinked and shifted in the still air of the End. He felt Purpled's heartbeat through his warm hand, beating wildly and fast, and he didn't know how to respond. Is there a right answer? A wrong one? He continued to take even breaths, watching him.

Wait, he's just like me . . . he suddenly realized. He noticed Purpled tried to shift, and saw his wings for himself. For Dream, his mask was his identity. He felt like he wasn't Dream without it. And for Purpled, it was his wings that identified him and made him whole.

He took a breath. "Whatever happens, Purpled, just know that you are yourself, and that nobody can take that away from you."

"LET ME GO!"