Diluted anger

Melissa

She was back doing the chore she didn't want to do while her mother sulked in their room. She'd gone after the woman but the woman shunned her for leaving her chore to meet with her, so she was mopping the floors of the living room.

"What happened?" A voice startled her from her thoughts.

When she looked up she was even more surprised to see Agnes. The last time she saw that woman was two days ago or so.

She didn't know what to say to the woman especially about what had just happened in the room about an hour ago. She shook her head at the woman.

"Go to your room, Agnes, your interference would add more firewood to the fire" She said to the woman.

Agnes's expression ranged from pained to sadness. She understood the plight of the woman but she knew that if this woman were to talk to Dami, it'll give Dami even more reasons to be poisoning the thoughts of others about her and her mother, so it's best she leaves it.

'Speak of the devil' She thought when she caught sight of Dami

"Madam?" Dami voice came with a lot of sweetness lacing her words.

'How can such a vile woman pull of the innocent look' She thought shaking her head and continuing her chore ignoring the woman and Agnes.

"Where's Ebube?" Agnes asked.

She raised her head just in time to catched the look of pure hatred and annoyance on Dani's face which vanished the second it came.

Dami smiled

"She's in the kitchen, anything you want me to give her?" Dami asked sweetly

"No need, I'd go meet Ebube in the kitchen. Carry on with what your doing" Agnes dismissed Dami with a wave of her hand before she navigated her way to the kitchen in search of Ebube.

'Maybe I should have told Agnes about Dami so they'd fire her butt because she's this kind of person who's two faced.' She thought as she leaned on the mop to clean her sweat. She'd stay there till the water on the floor dried.

She didn't trust any of them not to come and mess the place up and lie against her that she hadn't done what she'd been asked to.

"Did the madam talk to you, maid?" Dami asked her.

She rolled her eyes at the antics of the woman. If she were an adult she'd have reminded the woman that they were all in the same level. They were all maids.

'I wished my life were different' She thought almost sadly.

Life kept making her hate her life. If anyone told her that maids were nice, she'd punch that person in the face.

Sure, they weren't all that bad. But they were all gossips without nothing good but tarnishing people image. She felt like a hypocrite because she too listened to their gossips. But no more.

She was going to interact with them at arms length. Back or white, cruel is still the same.

'I wonder how they'd act if they'd ever find out that Susanna was Agnes's granddaughter? They'd all sweeten up to us' She sighed at that thought as she stood there waiting for it to dry.

"Eh?" A voice startled her.

In the haze of her thoughts she'd forgotten that Dami had asked her a question.

"No" She murmured.

Dami walked away hissing loudly in annoyance and irritation.

She looked at the woman as she walked away, her face not betraying her anger towards the woman.

"You good?" A voice called.

She looked up to see Karen, the said liar.

"Okay" She said looking the floors she was waiting for to dry.

"Are you waiting for the floors to dry?" Karen asked again in an obvious attempt to start a conversation. One she wouldn't give into.

She shrugged in response.

"Not all of us are bad you know? You've not met us go judge us" Karen said more like scolded maybe in an attempt to get a rise out if her.

"You've not met me to predict me" She said with a sly smile, each word stroke with venom buttered with sweetness. She wasn't going to do them anything, she wasn't going to spend eternity here playing maid. It was the person who put them in such predicament.

She blanked. Her thoughts were spiralling and she wasn't trying to stop the thousand thoughts in her head.

Karen blinked.

"How old are you?" Karen asked cautiously

"Sixteen why?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

"You act older" Karen stated

She gave her a sarcastic smile but said nothing to deny or confirm Karen's statement as she spared the floors a glance to see that they were quickly drying.

"What do you want to be in the future?" Karen asked

She shrugged the duty wasn't set in stone for her. If it were then she certainly didn't plan to spend her summer in Nigeria playing maid and having other maids detesting her because the owner of the house favours them.

"Really? Nothing at all?" Karen asked.

"I may take up business" She murmured to satisfy the twenty something female before her.

Karen nodded.

"Till later" She muttered as she carried the bucket and mop to throw away when Karen stopped her

"What you're doing is not healthy" Karen said.

"What?" She asked raising an eyebrow

"You're not supposed to bury your anger." Karen explained.

She gave Karen a mischievous smile and answered.

"Trust me, I'm not burying it" She said walking away when another voice stopped her

"Hey, Melissa, can I use the water from the bucket and mop the guest bathroom?" The last maid in red age never spoken to asked politely.

"Sure" She answered as she placed the bucket down to squeeze the water out of the mop before handing her the bucket of soapy water then walking off. Ignoring Karen's eyes on her.

'Tch- business? I might consider human psychology at this rate' She thought amusedly.

•••Author's note

Hiiii, that was most certainly a long break 😗 but I'm done with my exams so, yayy!!