3.

With a heavy heart, Shuri got on an aircraft back home. She had wanted to say goodbye to Riri, but as understanding as Riri was, her aunt wasn't. It was by the aunt's grace that Shuri was still allowed to sleep in the house. She hoped the letter explained everything and found herself staring at her kimoyo beads as though her life depended on it.

"nkosazana yam," the dora milaje announced. As quietly as it had come, the snowy landscapes of Chicago fell away and the land turned to water. "Did you find holidays pleasurable?"

"I wished it had been longer," she answered honestly.

The dora gave her an apologetic look and turned back to piloting the aircraft. Shuri looked through the protocols and agenda of the summit with Talocan. All of them, on closer look, did not need Shuri's presence per se. She clicked her tongue and would have sent a very nicely worded message to M'Baku had she see not seen a small note from him towards the end.

The serpent-feathered god yields to no one but you

So she was the backup in case things go array, Shuri realized. She wasn't actually needed unless M'Baku was planning to give her the throne in the next few days.

There was also the matter of succession. Yes, M'Baku was king and Wakanda was in his debt, but Shuri had given him the throne as a regent until she was ready.

Or until Toussaint was ready and prepared, which would be years. She wasn't going to go back on her word.

"They're all waiting for you," the dora announced as they broke into the trees that hid Wakanda from the world. Shuri nodded and changed out of her tracksuit and into something that made her look more regal. Not Queen Ramonda regal in her traditional clothing and crown that hid her hair. She was Shuri. Shuri wore what she would wear if she was in the lab and didn't need to work a mortar and pestle.

No, be you, she felt the whisper on the shoulder. She had been ready to turn into the black panther.

M'Baku stood on the tarmac, looking ever brave and stoic as she walked up to him in her tracksuit. It felt tense. Perhaps it was to the outside eyes. "My king," Shuri bowered, but M'Baku barked.

"Stop it, princess."

Shuri broke out into a grin. She was reminded of when her brother had done the same thing too.

"How is our little prince?" the delegation followed them to the throne room. "I was quite surprised that T'Challa and the spy managed to produce an offspring. I thought your brother was innocent -"

"I wonder if he froze."

"I bet he did," M'Baku scoffed. "I am sorry to ruin your plans, Shuri. But I thought it would be best to have you here."

"It's okay," Shuri grimaced. "I was...I was just in Chicago."

"With the scientist, no? C'mon Shuri, I'm not blind. She's a lot like you, you know. I wouldn't blame you if you fell for her."

Shuri blinked back some tears. "I kissed her on the cheek."

"The cheek? By Hanuman, we must ring the wedding bells," M'Baku clammed a hand on her shoulder. "When all of this is over, Shuri, you can go back."

"But what if it never ends? They won't stop until they have our resources."

"Then we will learn how to fend them off...diplomatically, off course," M'Baku frowned. "I'm not too good at all this diplomatic talk. I have to learn, too."

The summit took longer than Shuri would have liked. They didn't stop during Christmas because neither Wakanda nor Talocan celebrated it. Between the years was when it lulled a bit as the last days of the year were known to Wakandans as the demon days.