2

After the burning workout, my brothers and I high-five

After the burning workout, my brothers and I high-five. "There we go!" Tom says, amped up on pure testosterone. "Next time we'll do 15!"

"Why not 20? The more the better. Unless you're too chicken." Sam challenges.

"You would love that, wouldn't you? Maybe then Dad would take you fishing." Tom downs mineral water.

"He's taken me fishing."

"Yeah...twice, and stopped because you lack skill."

"You're lying!" The middle child rage surfaces. "Dad's been busy selling estates."

"Yet he still manages to take me to the lake every Sunday." Sam bitterly stares him down. He's offended and emotional about this reveal. "Maybe Jace will join the club soon, you'll really be the lesser son."

I stay out of it, I drink water, and catch my breath.

"Fuck you!" Sam shoves Tom's chest. He scoots back a few feet. His cocksure smirk annoys Sam.

"Control you're emotions, you're acting like a bitch, bro. I'm just telling you the truth. Take the information and adjust yourself."

That's another one of our father's famous quotes.

"25 laps...let's see if you can handle that. I doubt it. You'll throw a tantrum like a big baby."

"We'll see! Jace are you in?"

"Sure." I lie. If I say otherwise, I'll be facing humiliation. Great these two idiots are trying to kill me to win over our old man. It's not like he'll care. He's distant. Our father never hugs us just congratulates us on either academic achievements or physical accomplishments. It's not like he'll show love if either one of them beat the other. My father can't love. He's a soulless cardboard cut out playing a dominating role.

My mother married him for his status...so she can't love either. Marrying for sustainability and power is why they're together. The two never interact affectionately. Never kiss. Most people wouldn't assume they're together. It's a business marriage. As cold and shallow as a corporation.

Cindy and I show more passion than them.

I don't even think they sleep in the same bed. Dad is either in the study or out showcasing real estate to rich buyers.

History class is a bore. I swear the teacher was blessed with the gift of putting people to sleep. Her nasally, slow voice is better than any nighttime aid. "Aristotle was a Greek philosopher and scientist. He was born in the Macedonian city of Stagira. Little is known about the life of Aristotle, but he studied in Plato's Academy from the time he was 17 years old. He absorbed the teachings of Plato..."

The dull lecture. The fans blowing humid air. The dim room. All of this combined makes me yawn and doze off like a newborn.

Band class is a complete waste of time. I'm not gifted with any musical ability, so I choose the simplest one. The piano. I play horribly. Mismatched notes. Bad hand posture. I don't get how some people can play different melodies with both hands. It's impressive.