3

I don't expect dinner to be a disaster

I don't expect dinner to be a disaster. Everyone will do as mom and dad wants. So good behavior is a must. Cindy is very classy. So I have nothing to be worried about. She's only slutty when we're alone.

Her dress is styled with a belt and is very sophisticated. She and her family live in the same white collar neighborhood. I don't understand why my mother is so shocked. Cindy doesn't live in a slum.

Kim hides her hatred, she's now invested in my girlfriend's attire. "That dress is to die for! Who is the designer?"

"Teri Jon." Her brown eyes lit up with excitement.

"Oh, I never heard of them." My little sis analyzes the dress.

"Neither have I. The fabric and stitchings are just-"

"It's just a dress." Tom scoffs.

Sam shakes his head, greeting Cindy with a light grin. "Ignore him, he's uneducated in fine taste."

Tom makes to argue. Father clears his throat as a way to end the bickering before it begins. Tom shuts his trout. "Shall we retire to the dining room?"

"We shall, sir." Cindy gives a quick bow. My mom adores this. Now my baby is showing off.

In the grand dining room, butlers stand behind each chair. Eloquent chairs fit for a palace. When we sit, our heads don't reach the top. The back of each is high as a throne. The carved designed stone table is just as colossal. 5 feet off the floor.

The main course is Braised Chicken Legs With Grapes and Fennel. Golden drumsticks, yellow noodles and grapes topped with honey. Tall glasses of apple cider. The waiter staff serves us, filling our plates with small portions of vegetables and bread.

"So, Cindy. How is the gymnastics training going?" Father digs for information.

She lays a napkin across her lap before answering. "Rigorous. I feel like a robot most days, but hardships shape the best professionals."

My dad loves this...he may even add it to his catch phrase list. "Precisely." His xray eyes land on me. "Hopefully your influence will rub off on my son."

"I feel he's doing fine without my interference."

I expect dad to blow up at someone disagreeing with him, but he composes himself. "Jace needs assistance with performance."

I stare at him, finding it hard to hide a sliver of animosity. My girl picks up on this. "I could share some of my tricks." She breaks the icy moment. "There are ways to retrain the brain."

"Interesting." Dad sips on the cider. "Please do share."

"Yes, do share." Mom nods.

"Brain yoga improves stress, which is usually the cause for bad energy which impacts performance.  Think of meditation but solely for the brain. Mental exercises. My instructor has a magic touch for building my levels especially early in the morning when I'm groggy."