Chapter 2

Every class was like this, teachers going on about subjects we were most likely never going to need ever again.

I tuned most of it out, and eventually made it to the end of the day. Yes. Now I could go home and do absolutely nothing!

I stopped by my locker, setting my binder back inside and grabbing my backpack. I only had my school laptop in my bag, just in case something happened and we needed to do our school work at home.

Done with my locker and ready to leave, I made my way to the front doors where the buses lined up. Mine was at the back of the line, #3. I climbed onto the bus, and made my way back to seat #11. I was the third to last off, so the bus ride to and fro for me was long. School ended at 2:30 and I got home at around 4:30.

To pass the time, I put on my headphones and played some music, shutting my eyes and leaning back against the seat. A good afternoon nap ought to relieve me of the daily post-school headache.

I didn't fall asleep, but close enough. I got home at around 4:30 and dumped my bag next to my bed and fell asleep, still in my school clothes.

I woke up when my mom shook me awake, telling me that dinner was ready. Begrudgingly, I got up, the thought of food beckoning me.

My mom had made Salisbury steak, one of my favorite meals. I grabbed a plate from the cabinet and filled it up, grabbing a fork on my way to the dinner table. My brother came out of his room, also getting a full plate and joining me at the table.

"Seriously you two? Are you ever going to let me get a full plate too?" My mom complained.

"Nope." My brother replied without missing a beat and cackling like a madman.

Mom sighed and rolled her eyes, taking what was left -about three-quarters of a plate- and sat across from me at the table. At least we never had leftovers.

We all started devouring our plates the second we sat down.

"I don't know how you eat so much Hunter, your 10 years old and tiny." I stated.

He shrugged, "guess my stomach takes up my whole torso." He said, grinning a shit eating grin.

Mom slightly shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Don't you two ever stop arguing?"

"Never." We replied in unison.

                                    •••

After finishing dinner we cleaned up the table and put our dishes in the dishwasher. I went to my room and took my evening dose, and texted Casey.

Hey watchya doin? I texted. No response.

Are you feeling any better?

She had been sick today, as she wasn't at school and I assumed the kind of sick where you mostly slept it off, seeing as she hasn't answered any of my texts today. She had to wake up at some point though, right?

I shrugged off my worry and started collecting my nightclothes before heading to the bathroom to take a shower.

I turned the water on, turning it to the hottest setting. I always felt better after a hot shower.

After thoroughly washing all the day's grime and sweat off I got out and started drying off with my black bath towel. I changed into the plain white tank top and sweatpants I had grabbed earlier. I draped the towel around my shoulders and grabbed my hairbrush to brush my hair.

I brushed though the thick black tangles, over and over until there we none. I put my hair up into a bun and hung my towel back on the towel rack behind the door, then left the bathroom to go back to my bedroom.

I fell face down into my bed, and wrapped myself up like a burrito and plugged my phone into the charger. I shot Casey a goodnight text -all others still unread- and put my phone on the nightstand before shutting my eyes, letting the darkness envelope me.