Chapter 5

I started to turn to look at the space the voice came from, but before I could, screens I hadn't noticed started playing videos… of us.

They replayed a few moments, all of them being where we put our abilities to good use.

"How did I not notice cameras?" Casey wondered aloud.

"Because we didn't use electricity to power them, darling." The woman said again.

We all turned our heads, looking at the woman. I had to strain my eyes to see her, as it was pretty dim in the room, the only thing lighting it was the screens.

She had dark purple hair tucked into a messy bun and fair skin, with eyes the color of silver.

She moved her arm to flick a switch behind her, and the room was washed in bright white light. It hurt my eyes, and I squeezed them shut. When my eyelids were no longer stained with green, I opened them.

The woman was still standing in the corner, watching us with narrowed eyes. I looked back at my friends and saw that they were looking at each other too. Casey and I met eyes, and though she was trying to hide it, I could tell she was scared.

I turned back to the woman and said, "Who are you? What do you want?"

She raised an eyebrow at me, as if questioning my tone, but finally opened her mouth and said:

"I am Selene, and you are here because we want your help. But before we could accept your help, we had to test you. To see how you would react in unlikely situations and hopefully" she put an emphasis on 'hopefully' "test the limits of your skills."

I looked back, and saw that everyone was looking either at the woman, or at the floor, probably questioning everything they just heard.

"What… exactly... do you want our help with?" Casey asked.

"Why, to help save Earth of course." She said it as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

It was my turn to raise an eyebrow. How the hell would we 'save Earth'? It's huge and we are four people.

I started to say as much, but Selene swiped her hand through the air and said "No more questions. We've wasted enough time. Put these on." She proceeded to reach into a box a few feet away from her and pulled out four robes, each in a deep purple.

She handed one to each of us, a simple pullover that we all put on immediately, happy to have clothes again.

"Now you, come with me." She pointed to Alex.

He looked at Jason, then at Casey, then at me, asking us with his eyes for help.

"I didn't mean next month, Mister Aerlin. Now."

He looked back at Jason, squeezed the hand he was holding, then let go. He followed Selene out a door, and she shut it behind them.

Casey, Jason, and I were too shocked to say anything to each other. We just stood there, grim looks on our faces and every bad scenario running through our minds.

About fifteen minutes later Selene came back through the door and demanded Jason follow her. He cleared his face of any emotion, and went through the door.

Casey and I were left alone. She sat down on the floor once the door shut again, and even though her face showed nothing, I could see her holding back tears.

I sat down next to her and took her hand in mine. I kissed the back of it, and wrapped my arm around her shoulder. She leaned into me, and let a few tears escape. I felt a few of my own fall, and Casey asked, "What do you think is gonna happen?"