little story thing

horse !!
— simba ,, 2yo aph gelding

Evan shifted his seat and let his hand run through Simba's long ginger mane, giving his horse a pat

Evan shifted his seat and let his hand run through Simba's long ginger mane, giving his horse a pat. We can do this. It wasn't his first run, nor was it Simba's, and even though Evan trusted his heart horse, he couldn't help but doubt him. So far, he'd only jumped Simba back at the barn, but he knew that the horse had a barrel racing history. All he could do now was trust that Simba's old owner had trained him well.

The woman next to him led them over to the arena, and Evan could feel Simba lifting his head curiously and already picking up his pace into a bit of a walk at the speed of a trot.

Evan made sure he had a stable grip and ran through the race layout one final time in his mind. Once they were at the turn, the woman let go, and Evan gave Simba a mildly violent kick.

Simba instantly went into a fast-paced lope, then a gallop. Evan's mind whirled as they approached the first barrel; lean back, slower, still hands! Halfway around. He moved his hands up so that Simba could complete the turn. Don't touch his face! Get out. Get out of here. Right lead?

With a tiny sigh of relief Evan kicked his horse again, as Simba had dropped the speed around the first barrel. The next round went slightly choppier — Simba threatened to drop his head when Evan pulled him a bit too close to the barrel. The rider quickly gave him a pat to soothe him then squeezed to get him back to a gallop. Leg leg leg leg leg — he told himself, repeatedly giving Simba smaller kicks. Turn, slower, lean back, leg. One scary moment when Evan's leg brushed the barrel, and they were galloping back to the exit.

Simba have a victorious little buck at the end while they were slowing back down, but Evan didn't mind. 18 seconds. That was his new personal record.

— em speaks !! <3

so ... sorry for the lack of updates lol !! but i hope this makes up for it . love ya’ll <3