anti-hero

“Could I get another?” Rooster lifted the nearly empty bottle to get the bartender’s attention before putting it to his lips to swallow down the last mouthful. The bartender eyed the four empty bottles in front of him but still wordlessly placed a fresh Yuengling on the bar. 

“Rooster.” Hangman’s obnoxious texan drawl cut through the otherwise quiet bar as the blond slid onto a stool to his left. 

Was nothing sacred? He picked this bar for the sheer fact it was nearly two hours from Miramar and he thought no one he knew would find him here. 

How Jake even found him he didn't want to know. He just wanted to wallow in misery by himself. 

And why shouldn’t he? 

His ex-fiance was having a baby with one of his best friends. His ex-girlfriend assaulted said ex-fiance and not only sent her into labor but cardiac arrest as well. So now the lives of Zak and her baby were at risk and while it wasn’t technically his fault he felt like it was. Lydia had followed him to the Hard Deck after all. And angel that she was, Zak forgave the intrusion and invited her to stay for her baby shower. 

"Buzz off, Bagman." 

“You weren’t answering your phone and we thought you’d like to know Zak’s out of surgery. She and the baby are okay. It’s a boy.”

“So what? You tracked my location via find my friends and drove out to the middle of butt-fuck no where jus’ to tell me that?”

“I resent that statement.” Hangman flagged down the bartender and ordered a Guinness for himself. “I’m worried about you. You haven’t been yourself since Water Works went sideways.”

Rooster sighed and took a long drink from his beer, all but slamming the bottle down. Hangman was right. 

Sure, they’d all come back in one piece. But the ship was temporarily compromised and they had to fly to the nearest base instead. His landing gears malfunctioned. His life flashed before his eyes. He punched out seconds from burning in. He didn’t remember hitting his head. 

And then he’d slept most of the carrier ride back to Miramar. Which he definitely should not have done with a concussion. 

Physically, he felt fine. Fit as a fiddle. Healthier than a horse. 

He remembered he was a naval aviator and how to fly. He remembered making up with Maverick. He even remembered putting up with Hangman long enough to actually sort of become friends. 

But coming out of the emergency room and seeing Zak in the waiting area… It was like his brain short circuited. 

And at that moment? 

He remembered loving her. Their shitty apartment in DC. Asking her to marry him on their couch when she had the flu. Talking about the house she wanted to build them. What they would name their kids and if they should get a dog or a cat or one of each. 

And having to be told that they weren’t together and hadn’t been for a long time and that the baby wasn’t his and he broke her heart in more ways than one… a kick in the nads would hurt less. 

They’d been so good together until he let himself get in his way. 

His mom used to say he was his own biggest obstacle. Too stubborn to see there were just some things out of his control. His dad’s death. Mom’s cancer. Mav pulling his papers. Zak’s accident and miscarriage. 

And how was Bob of all fucking people getting everything Rooster wanted? The girl. The house. The kid. There wasn't a nicer person on earth, either. 

He wasn't angry with Bob. The WSO was the closest thing to a younger brother he'd ever had.