get lucky

Iceman was right. Six months at sea was a long time. And without flight training or flying in general to keep his attention... it felt even longer.

The squad kept him updated on what he was missing. Bowie Floyd needed infant glasses. Jake fucking Seresin of all people got engaged. Payback and Michelle were having another kid. Fanboy and his girlfriend got a puppy they named Bowser. Coyote was in between model girlfriends (seriously, how did he do it?). The Daggers flew a few short missions without him.

Maverick was right, too. He did feel better. His head was clearer. He had half of a plan that started with finding an apartment and selling his house.

But when the ship docked in Miramar and they were called to unboard, Bradley hesitated. No one would be waiting for him on the other side of the gates. No lover. No family. No friend. They were all too busy moving on with their lives.

Adjusting his hold on his backpack, Bradley steeled himself and joined the other sailors on the docks. He wanted an hour-long hot shower, Thai food, and a nap in a proper bed.

But, as luck would have it, his friends - no, his family - were waiting for him on the docks. Jake and Reuben held an enormous, glitter covered sign that had his call sign scrawled on it in giant bubble letters between them. Javy and Mickey and Bob and Nat stood by waving and hollering and cheering.

"Bradshaw, as I live and breathe." Jake grinned, shaking his hand and then pulling him in for a bear hug.

"Hangman." Bradley grinned, "You look good."

"Yeah, and you look like shit."

"Come on," Reuben clapped him on the shoulder, "We're taking you home to shower and then to the Hard Deck to celebrate."

"What are we celebrating?" He asked, hesitating. Was he forgetting something? It wasn't his birthday. Christmas had come and gone while he was underway.

"It's a homecoming party, dumbass." Nat said, punching his arm.

Oh. Right. That made sense. Penny had thrown a welcome home party after the Uranium Mission. But there hadn't been a party after Water Works or any of their other missions.

"Really, guys, that's not necessary." He protested. He didn't want a party. He wanted to go home to his depressingly empty house, take a hot shower, order take out because there was no food in his fridge, and go to bed.

Nope. Scratch that.

He could go for a beer first.

-&-

The Hard Deck was packed with the families of the other Dagger's and a number of Bradley's friends and coworkers from on base. And even people he didn't know. But as happy as he was to see everyone and as happy as they seemed to see him... there were jokes he didn't understand and stories of his coworkers he would never know the context of.

Bradley sighed, taking in the "Welcome Home, Bradshaw" banner and all his friends drinking and laughing around him. Penny had comped his first drink but he wasn't totally sure he wanted a second. Someone asked if he'd be playing the piano tonight, but he shook his head. He wasn't in the mood to play anything. Not even a round of pool.

"Bradley," Zak nudged his elbow to get his attention, "You look miserable. What's wrong?"

He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck. Truly, he didn't know. So he shrugged.

"Just tired, I guess."

"I don't believe you." Of course she wouldn't, "But I'll leave you alone to wallow."

"Zak, wait." He caught her elbow.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry."

"Bradley. Stop apologizing."

"Sor-"

She gave him a look and he shut his mouth. He released her elbow and she gave him one last smile before slipping into the crowd to find her fiance.

Damn. Sighing again, he headed for the bar for a fresh drink. Why couldn't he let himself be happy? Enjoy things? He looked around. These people loved him enough to throw a welcome home party after a 6-month stint at sea.

He didn't deserve any of it. He could practically hear his mother telling him to stop getting in his own way.

So, he put on a smile. He joined a game of pool. He lost to Bob and won against Hangman. But Hangman had his revenge in a game of darts, which Bradley had never been good at, anyway. He ate. He drank. He danced. He laughed. He let himself have a good time.

Which was only made better by the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen walking into the Hard Deck.

Her dark hair hung in loose curls over her shoulders. Full lips colored the same shade of red as her sundress. Someone next to her said something to make her laugh and he would have traded the world to hear the sound.

Penny handed him a fresh beer and it slipped from his fingers. The glass shattered on the hard wooden floor, breaking the spell.

"Ah, shit! Sorry, Penny."

"It's a bar, Rooster. Happens all the time." She gave him a warm smile and motioned for one of the bartenders to go around with a broom and dustpan. And when he looked up again, his mysterious woman in red was gone.

-&-

Bradley jogged through his neighborhood, waving or smiling at his neighbors as he passed. Something had changed since he'd come home. Maybe something in him. Maybe in his environment. Maybe the universe.

He didn't have a name for it. He didn't care.

His luck was changing. Things were looking up.

All he had to do was find the girl in the red dress from the bar and -

Oh. Fuck him. He didn't even know her name. And 'girl in the red dress' wasn't much to go on.

He'd never hear the end of it if he asked the squad for help.

Groaning, he flopped over onto his lawn to catch his breath. Just as the sky broke, drenching him in a torrential downpour.

He didn't remember walking under any ladders, breaking any mirrors, or crossing paths with a black cat. He even liked cats.

Bradley trudged inside through the garage to shed his rain-soaked clothes and toss them in the wash, muttering curses. Nothing had changed. And nothing ever would.