• chapter eight •

"Kazuha!"

You exclaimed the boy's name in surprise, as that was all you felt at the moment. "Were you waiting for me?"

"Of course." he smiled. "Who else would I be waiting for?" he added, scratching the back of his head.

Your heart fluttered and your face began to go red. Why am I feeling like this? Archons, he just said he was waiting for me... why am I heating up?!

"So, do you have nothing to do tonight?" you asked. You normally saw Kazuha on the rooftop at lunch and that was all, but this was a special occasion, or so it seemed.

"I actually needed you for something." he said simply. You noticed he had his guitar case on his back. "Come up to the rooftop with me... we need some privacy, after all."

Your heart was thumping madly as he led you up the stairs to the rooftop. Thoughts spun around your brain, but then you put them to rest when you made it up.

You couldn't help but be in awe as your eyes were met with the beauty of the shimmering city lights below your feet. Guyun's Grand Stone Hotel was the tallest building in Liyue after all, but you didn't realize that the city looked so beautiful at night.

"It's beautiful, Kazuha." you said subconsciously, still staring at the lights that seemed to hold you up. "What did you need from me?"

"Oh, that's right." His voice came out in a muffled whisper. "You see, there is a new song that I was able to write a few days ago. My bandmates are quite busy however, and I haven't had a chance to sing it to anyone."

Your breath hitched in your chest as you came to the realization of what Kazuha wanted. Opening your mouth, you asked, after a moment of hesitation, "...and you want to sing it to me?"

"Yes, I do." he said, as he began unstrapping his guitar. "If you will allow me, that is. I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable or anything. If this is inconvenient to you, feel free to leave anytime."

"Y-you're not- it's not-" you stuttered. You felt defensive and a little bit hurt. Just because you lied about not being good with music before didn't mean you didn't want to listen to his new song!

"It's not an inconvenience to me at all." you were finally able to manage. "Even an alchemy geek like me can enjoy a good song," you cracked, smiling brightly.

"Ha, I'm glad." Kazuha chuckled. "Well then, if you're ready," he continued, patting the spot next to him on the bench, "I will now sing to you... 'I'll Be'."

And once you sat down, Kazuha began to strum the notes in and he began to sing...

The strands in your eyes,
That color them wonderful
Stop me and steal my breath...

And emeralds from mountains,
Thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth...

And tell me that we belong together...
Dress it up with the trappings of love.
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips.

Instead of the gallows of heartache,
That hangs from above...

And I'll be your crying shoulder,
I'll be your love's suicide
I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life...

And if rain falls angry on the tin roof,
As we lie awake in my bed.
And you're my survival,
You're my living proof
My love is alive and not dead.

And tell me that we belong together...
Dress it up with the trappings of love~
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips,
Instead of the gallows of heartache
That hangs from above...