ten: their comfort kiss

"Loving him was red"
_____________________

4 YEARS AGO . . .

Valentine Pov:

Everyday is just the same.

A day pass and then another.

The constant fighting and the constant silent treatments never ends.

Should i laugh at myself for thinking the school is starting to be my escape?

True, i didn't really have any close friends, but a few to talk to was enough. I'm content with my life at school . . . as long as i have the garden; my comfort place.

However, the days are starting to feel more and more unbearable.

I don't want to go home.

What if . . . I just stayed here?

Oh, i need to stop being so ridiculous-

"Hey sweetheart." The voice of his popped my train of thoughts.

I didn't know when, and i didnt know how, but he was starting to become my favourite guest. Till this day, i'm still surprised by the fact he even bothers to talk to me.

Someone like him with someone like me was like the sun and moon.

No matter how tough my day is, seeing him would instantly lift the burden away from me. Perhaps that's why all the girls love him. His charisma was unbeatable.

"You...have something in your mind?" His voice spoke in the most gentle tone.

He's too kind.

Too too kind.

The first person to care.

It's such a pity that i was never good with controlling emotions. How was i supposed to stop my stream of tears after hearing such a sincere question? Maybe i was overthinking it.

Attempting to hide that embarrassing face of mine, i felt a warm hand under my eyes as they swiped the water droplets away.

Not once did he mutter a word but his face said it all. He wasn't laughing nor was he teasing.

He was worried.

For me.

How strange.

How strange that i was comfortable pouring my emotions out to him.

How strange that i was comfortable to tell him my problems.

The same exact problems i've been avoiding myself.

How strange that he has become my safe place.

What about the garden? How unloyal, Valentine.

After what felt like an eternity, i could finally breathe again. The weight and the bottled up emotions were all released and for the first time in weeks, i feel free.

If i had known this earlier, i wouldve let it out sooner. However, better late than never.

I told him my thoughts,
my feelings,
my expressions,
my problems.

I told him everything.

And not once did he judge.

Instead, he listened.
I needed that.

Taking in one big sigh, i gave him my biggest smile. Despite probably looking like rodulph the red nose reindeer or some heart-broken girl, my lips curved up in the most natural way.

Nothing was forced.

Nothing was feigned.

"Thank you for listening." I showed him my gratitude though his eyes still told me stories.

Behind that worried expression, there was something more that i was unaware of. Something . . . untold.

He cupped my cheeks in the gentle way wherein his gaze finally softened. Wiping the remaining tears away with his thumb, i could almost see my own reflection in those eyes of his.

So beautiful.

Suddenly, catching me by surprise, he leaned in close. I was confused, but i didnt dislike it. It gave me a clearer view of his face in which in adored alot.

"Sweetheart." He called me by my nickname. "Valentine." He corrected himself.

As perplexed as i was, i answered him with a nod.

"Push me away." He began to lean in even closer. "Please." He whispered in a desperate tone.

Perhaps i should've.

I knew it was wrong.

It shouldn't have ended like this.

This was not who we were.

But deep down, it was my secret desire.

I was always envious of the girls he dated and wondered why he treated me so differently. For once, i just wanted him to treat me the way he did with them.

Kiss me, the way he did with them.

Maybe his senses were knocked back into him when he suddenly pulled away, ashamed for his actions. However, his hands never left my cheeks and his eyes never looked at me like this; desire.

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

But that was not what i wanted to hear.

In fact i didn't want to hear anything else for the beating sounds of my heart, ringing in my ears were already loud enough.

I was thankful of him.

He saved me from my misery.

He whom grew a beautiful garden in my heart.

And so, i pulled him in and this time, he held me close.

No more fighting.

The kiss so blissful yet comforting.

I would never forget.

×××

He was never good at comforting people due to his playful nature but he in that moment,  he wanted nothing more than for Valentine to stop crying. It pained him to see her at this state and it hurt him more knowing she's been keeping it all to herself. Always be the one to listen, she was never listened.

Perhaps that was his biggest regret.

Who knew that kiss was not only comfort for both parties but also a farewell gift? The last time they were going to see each other.

And so, the days of Kim Valentine with Lee Heeseung has unfortunately come to an end.

Heeseung, her first love.

04/04/2023
♡ aw :/
thoughts on this chapter?
i wrote it laying on my bed, on my phone, in the dark at 1 am lmao XD

- [luna]