thirteen: he knows her

"Fighting with him was like trying to solve a crossword
And realizing there's no right answer"
_____________________

Although it's already been a month since Heeseung came back from his exchange course; came back into her life, Valentine still found it hard to adjust to his presence.

She would be lying if she said she knew how to act around him.

The girl she was 4 years ago was no longer inside her. She made sure to change every single aspect of it. From looks to personality.

She made sure to reset herself and leave her past self behind.

However, a little part of her wished the past self was still within her for the girl from 4 years ago would know what to do when it came to Heeseung.

The weaker, shyer, quieter, and less acknowledged girl would know how to talk to Mr Popular troublemaker back in the days.

How ironic.

Time has passed and people change.

It's impossible not to change.

Maturing is unavoidable.

This leads to her noticing the difference in Heeseung's nature compared to him when they first met.

It was true he was still as social and outgoing as he was before. His charismatic behaviour easily encapsulates the ladies' attention and his words were still as smooth as butter.

But something had changed.

He wasn't as interested anymore.

His flirtatious essence had toned down and he would not initiate as much anymore.

Why should she care?

Why should Valentine care about the boy whom she doesn't even know if they could be considered friends for they never hung out elsewhere other than the garden?

Why should she care about the boy who was infamous for his rumours of playing with girls and how people still fawn over him due to his perfect features, intelligent mindset, and attractive personality?

What a silly girl.

Her train of thought finally left her mind when she arrived at the school garden. She's only ever been here once for she never felt the urge to retrace her past footsteps.

Just like her previous school, not many people cared for this place because of how far it was from the main buildings and the responsibilities it takes to commit to.

Approaching the rows of dried-up plants, the sight pained her heart for she almost empathised with the plants.

Left all alone to wither; abandoned.

But that didn't concern her . . .

right?

And there she was attempting to work the water spray for not a single watering can was in the area. She was never really exposed to the new innovations for watering cans were her go-to pieces of equipment thus, a watering spray was quite confusing to her.

The more she struggled, the more her head hurt.

Just as she was about to give up, a hand from behind effortlessly turned the hose on and water came sprinkling out.

Turned around to reveal the helper's hand, it was no other than Heeseung.

A little part of her was glad it was him.

Wordlessly, he handed the spray back to her and placed his hands in his pocket.

Valentine softly thanked him before continuing her motive in watering the plants until he finally spoke.

It was unexpected.

"I'm glad."

"Pardon?"

"It's still inside you." He added on which only drove her to further confusion.

She switched the spray effect off and placed it back into its original position before facing him again.

"Sweetheart, we may be strangers right now but no matter how much you have changed, there will always be some part of you that I'm familiar with."

Those words pierced through her soul.

It wasn't supposed to be like that.

There wasn't supposed to be a single part of her in the past that was left in her.

She's different now.

Shes changed-

Maybe avoiding him physically was easy but avoiding him as thought is truly impossible.

No matter the number of distractions she's made.

The number of excuses she created for herself.

Her heart will always lead her back to him.

Deep inside she knew, that the little girl she once was, was never at fault.

She discarded her past self in order to protect who she truly is.

That way, the only way people could see, feel, and love her was through her façade.

But he was her addiction; impossible to quit.