Chapter IV

Ao'nung could remember the times as a child when he was much younger when he had once believed Eywa to be benevolent and compassionate to all her children. But now... Now all he could think of was how cruel of a mother she was.

What mother would ask this of her children? How could this all be part of a greater, worthy purpose? Was this torment all a part of the plan she was playing out? And why, why them? She had already taken so much, why take this final thing?

Why could he not live in his denial for a while longer?

Once they had returned to the festival, Lo'ak, Tsireya, and Rotxo had been there waiting for them. Lo'ak was pissed, and he immediately began to yell at Ao'nung, questioning him why he had taken Kiri away during the festival, despite his older sister trying to shut the teenager up and explain that they both had just needed some time away.

Though Ao'nung stayed silent, even when Tsireya had gently tried to coax his own words out for an answer, even when Rotxo had slugged his shoulder playfully, trying to lighten the mood so the man would speak.

But he stayed silent, there was no use for words.

Not at a time like this.

So, he merely pushed passed the pissed-off teenager, ignoring his taunts and questions as he left, not even turning around when he heard Tsireya's footsteps follow him urgently, worriedly. And how guilty he felt about that. How dare he make his little sister worry. But here he was, doing just that.

How cruel of him.

"Ao'nung!" Tsireya called after her brother, finally catching up to his powerful strides, grabbing at his arm to stop him, or at least slow him down, though he didn't falter his pace, continuing forward without a goal or reason as his sister then held onto his arm to make sure she could keep up with him.

"Brother, please! What is happening to you!?" Tsireya questioned urgently, worry so clear in her voice and expression as she jumped in front of the hunter and shoved his chest, pushing him back to finally make him stop.

"I'm just going to make sure Notevi is enjoying herself," Ao'nung stated blandly, not fooling the younger for a minute as she then stepped forward and hugged her brother tightly, being sure to squeeze around his shoulders snuggly to prove a silent point that he would not be allowed to go anywhere without giving the girl her answers.

Sighing, he wrapped his arms loosely around the younger's torso, resting his chin on top of her head as she began to rub his back reassuringly. "Just talk to me Ao'nung, I am here for you, big brother. I know you don't like it, but you must allow yourself to be weak, at least with me." Tsireya urged as Ao'nung sighed heavily once again, this time looking up to the stars with a silent prayer to Eywa to give him the explanation she wanted without having to say what was truly going on.

Because how could he?

He had no right to feel as broken as he did, not about this.

He was not the one to lose a sibling, or a son, all he lost was a dream, a hope for a future that was not meant to be.

He had no right to feel so heartbroken.

And he had no right to lay those wrongful emotions down upon his sister, not when she and Lo'ak were happy together, not when everyone seemed to finally be healing, even Kiri.

"I... I suppose my mind has been stuck on the past recently, so I've been reflecting as of late. And Kiri was having some shock to the liveness of the festival, so we just went out for a ride yesterday and tonight to clear our heads." Ao'nung answered, relieved that he could find his voice and keep it level enough to give a believable answer.