Enclosed Without Closure

Author's Note: Hey everyone, so this chapter is just a little late... by about 7 months... heh. I don't really have an excuse, I just kind of forgot that I even started this. To be honest I probably wouldn't have continued this story if it wasn't for logging back onto this account and seeing the comments asking when the next update would be and how many people were saving and starring these chapters. So thanks for (kind of) pressuring me back into this story! :) Enjoy part three of me rewriting episode one (wow I can't believe I stretched it out this long). Hope you guys like it, this chapter has a little more action and drama. See you in my closing notes!

Darius lay awake in his bunk, listening to the sounds of the prehistoric forest just on the other side of the cabin windows. It was late, he wasn't sure just how late, but figured it had to be at least an hour since lights out. Ben's breathing had evened out into a shallow sighing almost immediately, and Kenji had snored for a while before murmuring something about mermaids and then going silent. 

Carefully, Darius sat up in bed, lifting himself out and descending his bunkbed ladder as slowly as he could. Dropping down, the wooden floor creaked beneath his weight. Darius froze, heartbeat in his ears as he strained to hear if he had disturbed his room-mates sleep. Kenji shifted in the bottom bunk next to where Darius stood, seeming to re-adjust himself in his sleep before letting out a groan and falling back into a deep slumber.

Sighing silently with relief, Darius began creeping toward the door, testing each step before taking it to make sure the floor wouldn't creak below his weight. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Darius managed to slip out of the door and into the main living area. Picking up his pace, Darius continued toward the elevator door. His plan was clear: he had seen lights from an enclosure outside the cabin windows. Darius thought that it must be the Compy Enclosure since the compy that escaped earlier was found close to camp. All he had to do was take the elevator down and follow the lights, then he could get another look at the compies. 

Darius makes it to the elevator without incident, smiling to himself, he reaches out to press the elevator button. Just as he is about to press the button, the lights flick on, causing Darius to spin around in fear. Leaning against the bedroom doorframe was none other than Kenji.

"Oh hey there dino-nerd, whatcha doing?" Kenji asked nonchalantly, a bored but dangerous look in his eyes. The way Kenji says the nickname Brooklyn gave to Darius earlier than night makes his skin crawl.

Darius' mind went blank at that moment, so he spurted out the first thing that came to him, "Oh! uh- nothing! I was just... uh heading out 'cause, thirsty!" 

Arching an eyebrow, Kenji points to the water jug standing right next to him along the wall.

"Oh, yeah! I meant, um, hungry!" Darius quickly tries to cover, scratching the back of his head. This was not going well.

Kenji walks over and taps on the food dispensers on an island near the water cooler. His expression is unimpressed.

"Wow look at that! Thanks, Kenji..." Darius says with a forced smile and an awkward chuckle. Kenji was 100% on to him. 

"Look, bro, I don't want you to be intimidated by me just because I'm rich, my father owns a few condos on the island, and I'm rich..." Kenji's voice drawls out, sounding bored and arrogant. It made Darius' blood boil. 

"I'm not intimidated by you" was all that Darius could manage at the moment. He was worried that if he said more he might start verbally attacking the other boy.

Kenji began slowly walking over toward Darius, each step dripping with confidence, "Oh good, I just want us to be friends, and, friends tell each other stuff, for instance..." Kenji arrives at Darius and drapes an arm around his shoulder, "what they are doing out of bed? After curfew? What do you think?" Kenji asks in a sly manner, looking down on the younger boy.