Chapter 5 - Danger lurks

I woke up, the smell of the crisp air invaded and as I turn my head I look towards the mini pocket watch on my bedside stand; 9:46!
How could I sleep in like this! I wake up at half 8 just like every other morning, although it did make sense as I was up all night preparing for my mothers departure to Trinidad while she left me behind for God knows how long. I found it a bit unusual that she hasn't woken me up yet though either. Well at least today I didn't have school.

I quickly get dressed into day clothes and head downstairs to see the kitchen empty, the living room empty along with my mothers bedroom and a large amount of money with a note addressed to me. Where on earth is she? I open the note and read through it.

Dear y/n,

I am awfully sorry i have to leave on such short notice but somethings came up, something from England...
I hope you can understand and I've left you some money for food and necessities. I love you dearly.

From Mother.

She doesn't mean that awful man who was almost the death of me does she?! I suppose you need an explanation; back in England my brothers were known as the worlds best detectives, that was until they were murdered by this very same man who Mother must be referring to... I guess I should lay low for a while.

I open her wardrobe and just as my suspicions were right, mothers belongings, all gone!

I felt a great sense of rage rush over me.

She left me without a goodbye! How could she!

Just then the I heard a knock at the door, could it be mother changing her mind and coming back to stay?! I move swiftly towards the door and open to see...
Diana and Anne, of course, NOT my mother, although I was just as delighted to see my friends.

"Oh hello dear y/n isn't it a fine day today!" Anne remarks while holding a basket of baked scones while passing them to me.

"Hello y/n!" Diana says.

I take the scones from Anne and say, "why thank you! Please come in." With a smile on my face trying to hide the fact that my mother temporarily abandoned me without a goodbye.

"Well what brings you two over?" I say.

"Well we was wondering if you would like to come to Charlottetown with us today with Cole?!" Anne says with excite.

"If it's okay with your Mother." Diana adds.

"Well my Mother has left for... uhm... for" my mind went blank, what do I say!?

"For?" Diana asks.

"Uhm business! Yes that's right she left for uh business yea haha..." I chuckled nervously.

"Oh, so does that mean you can come?!" Anne asks.

"I uh..."

"Oh come on let's have some fun and you can get to know Cole more!" Anne explains.

Anne really is good at persuading, I guess I should note that down.

"Fine." I say.

They both squeal in excitement as you get some of the money of the side and your coat.

So much for laying low.

*In Charlottetown*

I got to know Cole more in the train and as it turns out he's a really nice guy! As we arrive into Charlottetown we leave the train station and we head to a pawn shop. It was full of antiques and all sorts. As we all separated throughout the store Diana called us all over, obviously something had caught her eye and wow I mustn't blame her.

There in a velvet red box was 4 necklaces, and oh my was it beautiful.

"There's four necklaces and four of us!" Anne remarks.

"We should all get one as a symbol of friendship" Cole adds.

"That's a great idea!" I say.

As we take the necklaces and purchase them we all walk out the shop while adjusting them on our necks.

"Wow, these truly are magnificent!" Anne exclaims.

"I couldn't agree more." I say in all honesty.

Afterwards Anne, Diana and Cole head to a boutique while I head next door to an antique store. I look across the shelves until something caught my eye and then also, someone did, and not in the way I'd imagine. As I turn around a corner there I am face to face with him. Gilbert Blythe.

"Y/n! What are the odds" he chuckles.

Yeah what are the odds.

"Gilbert." I say as reminder that we are most certainly not on good terms, especially not after what he did, spreading that rumour...

"What are you doing here?" He says with a bright smile.

"Shopping, at a Shop." I say stating the obvious.

"Oh right" he says with a chuckle.

There's an awkward silence until Gilbert breaks it.

"Listen y/n, I imagine we've got off onto the wrong foot-"

"Mhm" I say interrupting.

"Y/n you gotta know I did not start that rumour!" He exclaims.

He then goes on rambling about apologising or something but I wasn't paying attention as I focused my view outside the shop window. I looked into the distance and felt my heart physically drop. I thought just then at that moment I was going crazy and seeing things but as he turned around so I could see his side profile and there's that face I could know from anywhere, it was him... the one who is currently hunting me, the one who almost killed me! It was that man back from England. I could feel my face boil up and drop into realisation that if he saw me, he saw me with Gilbert meaning he wouldn't be only hunting me, he'd be hunting him too. I grab Gilbert by the shoulders with a firm grasp and slam him towards the wall behind a tall wardrobe.

"What are you-" he says in confusion and slight fright as I cut him off.

"Shh!"

"Y/n what on earth-"

"Be quiet!" I put my hand over his mouth and he saw how serious I was so he kept quiet for a few seconds.

As I peek my head over the wardrobe and out the window he's gone. Thank god.

"Okay what was that about?!" Gilbert exclaims as he pushes my hand off of his mouth. I turn to him as our faces our inches apart. I could feel his breathe on my lips. We stood still for a good few seconds til I snap back into reality.

"I uh..." how do I explain?!

"I need an explanation!" He remarks.

"Yes, yes! I know." I say trying to figure out an excuse.

"I'm here without my mothers permission and uh- I... I saw her! Yeah I saw her so I uh- hid here." I chuckle nervously.

"Uh right. Uh" he says unsure wether to believe me or not.

"Well that should be me going now. Bye!"
I scurry off as fast as I can and hear Gilbert calling my name. I meet Anne and the others outside and we all decided to go home, mostly because of my persuasion as I didn't want them to be in danger of that man. As we got back in Avonlea we all part our ways back to our homes. I enter my house remembering to lock all the doors and windows to ensure my protection. I sit on the sofa in absolute disbelief, not knowing what to feel or do but only sure of one thing and only one thing. I am not safe.

Deceptions On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara