Chapter two | First day

I naturally woke up early, I was never one to sleep in, yet the bedchambers were empty. Apparently, it's a witch thing to get up early. With everything that the magical world has to offer, that doesn't surprise me.

I made my way down to the common room after getting dressed in the same clothes I wore yesterday. Mentally I made a note to remember to buy some new clothes, maybe Professor Weasley could tell me where I could get some.

The common room was bustling with students, some were chatting, others were playing games like chess that looked slightly different from normal chess, and a few were even studying already.

"Well, good morning to you, my mysterious friend." a familiar voice said, and I turned towards the source."Good morning, Sebastian."

He was sitting in the same spot we talked last night and gestured for me to sit down, too. "How was your first night at Hogwarts?" he asked, making small talk. "It was all right, I slept well. How was yours? I mean your sleep. it's not your first night here, obviously, " I asked, and he chuckled."It was alright."

Scanning the room, I saw a few first years gathered by one of the windows and a smug looking boy leaning against the stone wall next to it. "What are they doing over there?" I asked curiously, nodding my head in their direction. "Oh - those poor unfortunate souls. Falling prey to Ominis' mischief," he mused, a grin starting to form on his face as he watched the group "Ominis is a friend of mine, he likes to tell first years that if they're lucky they might see a merperson."

"As in, mermaids?" I asked again, curiosity growing with each word. "You could say that yes, muggles commonly refer to merpeople as mermaids, but we don't really call them that. It is the same with the 'mythical monster of Loch Ness', when really, that is just a giant kelpie." I listened intently."Woah - that is amazing. What is a kelpie?" Once again, Sebastian answered me patiently. He seemed amused by my questions: "They are shape-shifting water demons. The one known as the monster of Loch Ness is the largest known kelpie. You can imagine how it gives the ministry of magic a run for their galleons to keep it hidden from muggles."

I continued to ask Sebastian a couple more questions, which he explained in a way that's easy to understand before finally asking me a question. "So you're a fifth-year, a late bloomer in magic, I presume, since your knowledge the magical world and magic is extremely limited." his words didn't hold any ill will. He was merely stating facts, "-and Slytherin is known for their pure blood preferences, yet here you are. What's your story? Are you a half blood witch? Long lost pure blood? A Muggle born?".

I shook my head and smiled, opening my mouth to speak, but got interrupted by a girl shouting, "Is the new fifth year student here? Professor Weasley is looking for you."

I got up, apologetically shrugging at Sebastian. "I suppose that's a story for another time, my dear Sebastian," I recited the words he told me yesterday, mocking him in a teasing manner. "I'll keep my secrets for now."

_

After going over the field guide that was supposed to track my progress, and help me catch up to my peers, Professor Weasley told me to make a trip into Hogsmeade to replace the stuff I lost in the dragon attack after class today.

She escorted me to my first class of the day, charms, and turned to me. "A student will escort you. They'll be waiting for you by the entrance after lunch."

"Thank you, Professor Weasley," I said politely, earning another warm smile. "Now - do enjoy your first class," she knocked on the door and said goodbye.

I walked into the classroom, taking in the scent of books and parchment. I spotted Sebastian and his friend, Ominis, if I remember correctly, on the other side of the classroom as I was looking around for an open table. Sebastian nodded at me in greeting before turning back to his friend.