Chapter fourteen | Ancient magic

I fled the castle with Sebastian hot on my heels. I didn't feel like class anymore today, and I didn't quite care if my absence would get me in trouble or not.

"Daenys," Sebastian grabbed my wrist, finally catching up to me at the entrance of the Forbidden Forest. "Are you okay?" Concern was written all over his face. It's rather adorable. I smiled. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just fed up with those..." I didn't finish my sentence, but Sebastian knew what I meant, so it didn't matter whether I finished my sentence or not.

"Come here," he muttered, wrapping me up in his arms and giving me a tight hug I didn't even realise I needed until my head was resting against his chest, hearing the rhythmic beating of his heart. "It'll blow over soon, I guess they're just jealous. I'm dating the prettiest girl in school, after all." I blushed slightly and scoffed."I think that would be me. I'm dating the prettiest girl in school." I teased.

Sebastian flicked his invisible long hair and winked. "Yes, you are. You should feel honoured. I am the prettiest girl in school, after all." I grinned and pulled back."Oh, I am feeling extremely honoured that you grace me with your presence." I bowed to Sebastian and kissed his hand. "Good, bow down for me. Admire the amazing being that I am." he joked, taking hold of my hand and intertwining our fingers.

"So, what is your plan after storming out of class like that?" he asked as we casually strolled into the forbidden forest. "Well, for starters, I don't want to be in class with those baboons. Secondly, I planned to get out of the castle, and so I did, and last but not least, I figured my time is better spent learning about ancient magic instead of being in a classroom full of hormonal teenagers." Sebastian squeezed my hand. "I don't like to be the centre of attention." I quietly added. "I know, but it's inevitable. Everyone seems to gravitate towards you. Not to mention your gift. It is going to put you in the lime light at whether you like it or not." Sebastian was spitting facts.

It's been centuries since someone who was capable of wielding ancient magic has been around. "Have you found out more about your ancient magic?" Sebastian asked after a moment of silence. "Yes, I found out more about Isidora. She learned to take peoples pain away, be it physical or emotional, but I haven't found out about what happens if it goes wrong. There has to be a catch. Everything comes at a price."

"Maybe there is non for this one particular thing," Sebastian shrugged, "that could be possible, right?"

"I suppose it could be possible that there is no catch, but I don't think that's the case. This is a manipulation of some kind. We're meant to feel emotions and sensations. Pain is one of them. You can't just eliminate something like that without a catch." I reasoned, but Sebastian seemed to fiercely believe I could do it without some kind of side effect. "I need to find out more about Isidora and the spells she used."

"Alright, where do we start? If you have the answer, we best hurry up. I can't have Anne suffering any longer. Especially not when we know you are able to do something about it." Sebastian pressed."I'm sure there is no such thing as a catch. Come on, show me your lead."

I had a bad feeling about it, but I could understand where Sebastian was coming from. He has spent the last 2 years trying to lift his sisters curse to no avail, and then someone like me comes along, setting the ember of hope ablaze again. I don't want to let him down. I'm sure I can do it once I find out how it is done. After all, everyone keeps saying I'm a natural when it comes to magic. I've managed to learn 4 years' worth of spells in such a short time already. Learning this single spell should be a piece of cake for me. I hope.

"Remember when you showed me Rookwoods Castle? Where Anne was cursed?" I asked Sebastian timidly. Whenever he talked about his sisters' curse, his expression twisted in a painful one. I didn't like seeing that expression on his face, so I usually didn't bring it up. This time, I had to, though. "Yeah, and we found that weird room beneath the castle. You somehow found a way that led us back to the undercroft. I've yet to find that passage way again, though. " Sebastian nodded, remembering our findings.