Part 4

Two Days Later

Rosie
    I am running late to work, and stupid rush hour isn't helping. I didn't mean to sleep in, but I was up all night thinking about how I was going to—I don't know, politely ask him what his song is.

    I really want this to work out, but I can't keep waiting around with someone who isn't fated to be with me.

    Sorry. I know I sound cheesy but life is freakin short.

    The Little Songbird comes into view as I round the block, past the park. I find a spot, then fumble with my seatbelt for a minute before jogging into the sight of a grumpy Carmen.

    Her arms are crossed over her chest while she waits behind the counter.

    The cafe is in its prime morning coffee rush.

Great. I squeeze through the line of customers, "Excuse me, excuse me, sorry." Thankfully they part easily.

    My apron isn't even over my head before a to-go cup is practically tossed into my hand. Carmen walks past me to the counter, "Straight black and pumpkin cold foam" she yells over her shoulder.

    Okay.

    My mind goes into work mode, hands swiftly pouring the kettle, feet taking me towards the caps.

    I place the cup onto the pick-up counter, "Medium black coffee with pumpkin!" Luckily Carmen already tended to the majority of the customers, there were only about three tables taken.

No one walks up to claim the cup so I leave it on the counter. Onto the next order.

    "Excuse me? I was hoping for some sugar with my coffee." I continue making the next latte, without turning around I answer, "The table on your right has the sugar and milk, whatever you need—."

    My eyes meet his. The butterflies are back.

    "Well, you see the sugar I want doesn't come in a little packet." He smirks, and I can feel the heat rising to my cheeks. I walk over to him.

    He puts his coffee down, ad reaches over the counter to take my hand. His hands are warm and real covering mine.

    "I should have known that you would order a black coffee. What are you doing here?" I ask.

    "I just wanted some coffee on this lovely morning, and to see you." He looks down at our hands and squeezes mine just a little tighter. His chest defleats.

    "What is it, Gray?" He slowly lifts his haze back to mine.

    "I need to ask you something. I can't wait any longer."

    "Um, okay. Can you wait like ten minutes please?" He nods, grabs his coffee then walks to an empty chair. His expression looks clouded even from behind the counter.

    Where's Carmen?

    She takes the last order from the final person in line. She smiles, then grabs a paper bag and walks toward the bakery display. I walk over to her, "Carmen?" She looks up at me. Her smile turns down when she really looks at me.

    "What's up?"

    "I-I um can I just take a really quick break outside?" I look over at the dining area. He is still sitting there, sipping away at his coffee, looking out the window towards the park. Carmen stands up and follows my gaze to where I am looking.

    She gasps, and grabs my arm, "It's Gray."

    I have been keeping her in the loop since our first awkward encounter. She gets all giddy when I talk about him because I can never stop smiling when I mention his name. So of course she wouldn't suspect anything is up, rather than the fact that he has never stepped foot in this cafe.