~1~

Pix

My mind had been cloudy for the past few days. The memories of the past, they just wouldn't leave me. So, there was only one thing left to do.

Take a walk by the Eversea.

It was the only way to leave the past behind, to escape the nightmares that I had in broad daylight. It was a traumatic place for me.

But maybe, just maybe, it could set me free.

I wandered down the coast, letting the water wash past my ankles. I was so worried that I would be too scared of this place, but I felt the opposite of fear. 

I felt free, like I was being cleansed of my paranoia, scraped of the ghosts of the past.

I looked down, noticing a strange lump in the sand. I moved closer.

Was it just my PTSD, was this the shape of a human?

I blinked once, twice. I tried to keep moving forwards, but my vision was too blurry.

I hit the ground and felt my eyes close.

~~~

I groaned. What had awoken me-

"Pix? Are you dead?!"

"Lizzie, there's another one here!"

"Oh no...who is it?"

"It's..."

I heard loud footsteps. "JOEL! No...NO!!!"

I opened my eyes and sat up.

"Oh Pix, thank god!" False said.

"JOEL!!! NO, YOU AREN'T DEAD. YOU AREN'T. WAKE UP..."

False sighed, looking back over at her. "Lizzie, there's no point in screaming. He's gone."

Lizzie came into focus a few feet away, crying over her lover's dead body. 

"No! He isn't dead! Gods are immortal!!!"

False shook her head. "I don't know how this has happened, but it has. I'm so sorry."

Lizzie sobbed harder, her whole body shaking with tears. She was beyond words.

"How...how can someone kill a god?" I asked.

Lizzie slumped over in sleep, either of fatigue or panic.

False propped her up against a nearby pole as she spoke. "I'm not sure, but they have. Check him for wounds, will you?"

I stepped over to him, trying not to cry. Ever since I'd seen the ghost of a murderer, I hadn't been the same. The smallest things could set me off, the tiniest could make me cry.

And I had no control over any of it.

I examined Joel's body.

"Clear of wounds on the front, help me roll him over would you?"

The man was 11 feet tall. No way was I going to roll him myself.

"Okay." False walked over, helping me roll him onto his chest.

"Oh my god-" She exclaimed.

I looked where she was pointing. A sword wound, no doubt, all the way down his upper back on the left side.

"Whoever did this was aiming straight for the heart." I said.

False nodded. "I'll say. They succeeded too, obviously."

We stood in silence, each to our own thoughts. False kicked a nearby pebble along the beach, causing Lizzie to stir but not wake.

"So...what do we do now?" I asked.

False sighed. "I guess we inform Shelby of the incident."

"Who would do this?" I asked, knowing she had no idea. I just needed to get the question off my chest.

"I have no clue. Joey has been dead for years..." She trailed off. "Well, I guess we should get him to Shelby's."

I raised my eyebrows. "Exactly how do you plan to do that?"

"Absolutely no idea," she said, walking to his leg and trying to lift it. "Are you gonna help me or not?!"

Yeah, that's right, I'm back with more murder mysteries.

Needless to say, read book one first. The one with the purple cover. Yeah, that one. Click on it.

Have a good day!

-minimushr00m