Chapter 12

I spent the remainder of the day squinting at random objects to test my ability. I was lucky I still have some strength to do the laundry. That night, I slept early, intending to keep my promise to watch Aliya and her band perform. In the time I spent sleeping, the student council and the festival committee had put in work to decorate the school field for today's event. Apparently, the school's festival committee handled all the work when it came to events or decorations, regardless of whether the event actually counted as a festival or not. The club festival didn't actually count as a festival. It was a small scale event where clubs would perform and try to gather as many members as possible.

There would be several different stages. The sports clubs and anything that relates to physical activity like the magic-wielding club would utilize one of the school's fields, while the music club, theater, and dance club would be performing in the auditorium. Aliya's band, which was under the music club, would be performing there as well. Aliya sent me a quick message in the morning, reminding me to attend. I checked the clock.

Eight fifteen.

She performed after lunch, which meant a lot of time for me to go around. The remaining clubs, which did not need a special room or a wide space to operate, all built camps in one of the three school buildings.

"Any club you want to visit?"

I asked Antonio, who walked beside me. He seemed inseparable from his lab coat, which he still wore even on a day like this. The teachers didn't seem to mind, weirdly enough. His coat didn't seem dirty, either. Did he have multiple of the same coat...

It started to glow blue.

"Why water?"

"It keeps the coat clean, so I do not need to clean it. All I do is give it a bit of perfume in the morning."

He lifted his right hand and sniffed it.

"No smell. To answer your previous question, I had already decided to join the science club. The question is not regarding myself, but you. What club do you want to join?"

He asked while pointing at me. I shrugged my shoulders. The school had sent a map to all the new students, listing all the clubs and the places where they built their home base, along with the schedules for performances. I had read through the entire list, not finding anything that piqued my interest. The problem came from the fact that I did not know what I wanted to do, not because of the lack of options. If anything, the number of clubs here was surprisingly high, making me wonder how all of them managed to survive in the first place.

The school only had four hundred fifty students at most, and that wasn't counting those who dropped out. If the rumors were correct, we already lost eight students from the first year. The rate of drops out significantly increases as time passes, up until the first month, or so I heard.

"Have you not spent time to consider it at all? They shared the list yesterday afternoon, what did you do with your time?"

"Sleeping. To be fair, I'm exhausted."

"Physically weak is another thing to add to your list of weaknesses. Your overall positive points seem to be reducing with every passing second."

"Hey, the person from the legend wasn't strong either."

"That was because they were at war. They need a strategist, he fulfilled that role. What role did you fill in this day and age?"

"..."

I couldn't reply. I didn't even know what role my ability could fit in.

"After completing high school, I suggest you join the military. They would love to have someone like you... assuming you completed high school in the first place."