The Interview

Avery and Maggie's interview was in Boston, having to go down to the city to the nearest office for it. It was a two hour drive, and Avery was starting to feel a little cramped on the way back. They stopped at Avery's work so she could fill out the paperwork now that they were married. Maggie had brought a book with her and she had a call with Felix. They walked in, Maggie grabbing a bag of coffee and a cup from their fall launch. Stacey was at the front counter.

"Hey, I'll take this for my markout," Avery asked, grabbing the scanner and scanning the coffee. "What do you want?" She looked at Maggie who was looking at the menu.

"I have to think about it for a second, all the new drinks are here," she said. Maggie had taken off the suit jacket she was wearing and all of her hickies were on full display. Avery smirked at the sight, secretly loving that anyone who looked at Maggie knew that she was taken even if they couldn't see the ring. Avery wasn't necessarily possessive in relationships, but she wouldn't pretend she didn't have a marking kink. Stacey was staring, making a face at Maggie. Maybe Maggie was right about Stacey being jealous, she always seemed to get that pinched look whenever Maggie came around. Avery got her usual pumpkin cold brew for the season and Maggie wanted to try the new chai with cold foam.

"I'm gonna go in the back, but hopefully it shouldn't be too long. I can add you to my insurance since you're gonna be overlapping at work."

"That'd be great," Maggie passed her the social security card and her current work visa. "Bonus points if you know my birthday off the top of your head."

"That's easy, October 16, 1996," Avery said with a smirk. Maggie asked for a kiss, which Avery happily obliged before going to the back to meet with Samantha. "Rise and shine, Sammy!" Avery said, walking into the back. Samantha glared at her, head dropping back down onto the desk.

"Ha ha, very funny, Avery. I'm going to fall asleep back here. Someone set off the alarm at three-thirty, so I've been here since then."

"Fuck, that sucks. Was everything alright?"

"Yeah, some fucking idiot thought we were open and he yanked on the door so hard it set off the alarm," Samantha stood up and pulled down the keyboard for Avery. She was looking at the cameras. "Is your new wife in the lobby?" Avery grinned widely.

"Yeah, she's waiting out there with her book. She's my wife," Avery whispered the last part excitedly.

"I'm gonna go bug her. Just go to the benefits page," she said on her way out of the back. Stacey brought back Avery's drink.

"Did you just say wife?" She said passing her the drink. Avery took it gratefully, taking a large sip.

"Yup! Me and Maggie got married last week, just a courthouse wedding, but it's all official now!" Avery said with a smile, holding up her hand to show off her ring. "I know it's fast but... when you know, you know, you know?"

"It has nothing to do with her visa on the table?" Stacey pointed to Maggie's paperwork. "Because if it was I wouldn't say anything," she sat down, smiling mischievously at Avery. Avery frowned a bit.

"It's not, actually. Maggie's work visa may have been the reason we met since it's what brought her here, but I love her and that's why I proposed. Also, Maggie's been in the country for years with no issue, she doesn't need me to help her get legitimacy," Avery didn't like the way Stacey had said that sentence, it felt too much like a trap. So instead she stuck to the story they'd been giving everyone else outside of Tanner, Matt, and Ellie.

"Oh," Stacey said with a flat tone. "Alrighty, well I guess I better get back out there," she stood up and walked back to the front. That was weird. Avery shrugged, going back to the forms on the computer. It took them about thirty minutes to get through all of them, getting Maggie onto their tax forms as well as the insurance they had through Starbucks. It was only one of the basic plans, but they'd at least be covered for an emergency. They walked back out, asking David to make them another drink with a smile, before heading over to the table where Sammy and Maggie were sitting in conversation.