𝘈 𝘛𝘰𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘊𝘢𝘯 𝘛𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵 [S. Harrington]

Summary: You're Billy's twin sister and it's your first day at Hawkins High. You keep running into Steve Harrington in the most unlikely of circumstances...

Warnings: Mentions of abuse, physical abuse, bruises, trauma, and mild language.

A/N: I wrote this forever ago but never finished it so I just quickly wrapped it up this morning for y'all to keep you waiting as I work on another Billy x Reader one-shot! I like the idea of Billy's twin falling for Steve. Enjoy!

Words: 4572

⑊ ⑊ ⑊ ⑊

Hawkins High is hardly any different from your school back in California. It's a large establishment designed to be a labyrinth for the hundreds of students, like they don't already have enough on their minds to add being lost and late for class to the mix. Especially for new students, like you, who have no friends and no social skills to obtain them. Well, maybe social skills aren't what you lack. You know how to be polite, kind, helpful, nurturing. All things you are towards your stepmother and stepsister. But no one in Highschool wants a pretty little maid as a friend. Your efficiency at tidying your room or completing homework won't buy a ticket into any of the clicks. To be anyone in any highschool, whether in Indiana or California, you have to compromise morals, find your identity in pleasures, and do reckless things that get you noticed. These are the defining traits of the teens you pass as you search for your first class.

Kids make out against lockers.

One guy slips into a bathroom with bulging pockets and a wary eye.

A teacher yells at a student who drew an unpleasant doodle on the wall.

Girls stroll down the hallway, arm in arm, a flock of fluorescent birds, sniggering at anyone who catches their eye. They clog the flow of traffic by claiming the center of the hall. You duck your head and shove past them, struggling to block on the whispers that follow your retreating figure.

"Who is she?"

"She kinda looked like Billy."

Billy.

So already people know him?

You roll your eyes. Of course Billy has made friends, if they can even be called that. Connections is a better word for it. See, Billy is like you in the sense that he doesn't easily make friends. Only difference is he recruits superficial stand-ins. Hot model looking girls who last about a day and a half, egotistical maniacs who can offer Billy a nice challenge or feed his self esteem. Those lunatics that end up bowing at his feet aren't friends. They're hench-people. They're fanatics. So, technically speaking, neither you nor your brother are any good at making friends.

At least he has someone who will spend time with him.

What am I saying? I don't want fake friends like that. I want the real thing. I want someone who can be there for me.

Like Max.

Your only true friend.

Your sister.

Stepsister.

It's odd how people of different blood can be like family, but true family feel like imposters. Max and her mom might be connected to you through marriage alone, but they're ten times better family members than your father or brother ever could be. It's easier to say Max is your sister, to lie to people and disassociate yourself from Billy than to confess your family history and become the ghost that is Billy Hargrove's little sister. You're only a year younger, but it's not the years that draw such a harsh line between the two of you. It's your gentle, fragile nature. It's the way Billy used to defend you, back when mom was still around. Dad would hit her. He would turn on you to manipulate her, and Billy, who couldn't ever seem to save Mom, would put himself in front of you like a wall, unshakeable. His roots ran deep. Your mountain, your rock. The defense you clung to with your pudgy child hands as long as Billy let you.