Forty-Six | ᴇɴꜱᴇᴍʙʟᴇ

She was right

She was right. Lizzie was right. Not a single word she'd uttered rang untrue. Wherever Tommy was, Rose was there, too. A phantom that followed him from place to place, no matter how hard he tried to push her from his mind. Even the other night in his study. His hands and mouth had been on Lizzie, but his mind had been on Rose. It was Rose he'd seen every time he'd closed his eyes.

Therefore, yes, Lizzie was right. He'd gotten a shiny new toy, and immediately tossed the old one aside. But his behavior toward the new toy had been just as off-putting. Which meant Rose was right, as well: his was a lonely, dreadful life, and he brought it upon himself.

These realizations weighed heavily on his mind and body, and he leaned forward, pressing his palms to the surface of the desk to steady himself. When had he ceased to be astute and self-aware? Where had he left his most important observational traits?

A guilt with which he was completely unacquainted began to spread through Tommy's stomach, causing a bout of nausea to travel up to his throat. It was beneath him to become entangled with such base emotions, but his treatment of Lizzie had been crass. He could see that now. They had so much history together, the two of them. She'd been steadfast and present when others had deserted him. He didn't love her, and it was doubtful he ever would, but her loyalty shouldn't be taken for granted.

With a heavy sigh, he sat down at Lizzie's desk and made his way through the documents that required his signature. Once he'd finished, he piled the papers neatly together, tucked them back inside the folder, and got to his feet.

Retreating to his office, Tommy poured himself a generous glass of whiskey and downed it in a single gluttonous gulp. He needed to leave. To get out of here. The offices of Shelby Company Limited suddenly felt suffocating and claustrophobic. He had the urge to begin clawing at his own skin.

He needed a distraction. Any distraction would do, so long as he wouldn't be trapped alone with himself and his thoughts. But he couldn't tolerate his brothers or the rowdy atmosphere of the Garrison. Not tonight. Not while in this state of mind.

Between Rose's excruciating silence and Lizzie's justified contempt, the doors that were open to him tonight were few in number.

...But there was someone. One person who would know how he felt. One person who was likely just as lonely. That door might be closed to him, as well, but it was worth a knock.

Grabbing his flat cap, Tommy made his way out of the office and into the dimly lit streets, a single destination in mind.

【♤】