Prologue

March 2017

There was something special about the light this time of day - they called it golden hour for a reason. The setting sun cast faint yellow shadows across the Los Angeles foothills, while glittering city lights took over in the distance and the last rays of daylight danced off the glass windows of the back terrace.

Abbey Road on vinyl drifted through the air, and Harry hummed under his breath where he was sat on the cool tile, long legs stretched out in front of him.

"That's it...that's a'girl..."

A wobbly child with chestnut curls flashed him a gummy grin as she paused, teetering on experimental little legs. She let out a squeal when he held his arms out, curling his fingers to urge her closer.

Lia stood at the door, squinting into the last vestiges of sunlight that streamed through the vast wall of windows. A smile tugged her lips as she gazed out on the scene.

She watched as her daughter shuffled one foot out ahead of her and was immediately met with Harry's exuberant cheers. Adjusting the stems of two wine glasses balanced between her fingers, she carefully slid the door open and stepped out into the mild spring air.

The sound of the heavy door easing closed drew both Harry's and the little girl's attention toward the house, and she dropped to the ground with a plop.

Harry's face lit up in a grin. "She's almost got it."

She set the wine glasses on a nearby table and bent over the child, offering her hands to help pull her to her feet before backing away. "She's close," Lia murmured in agreement, settling onto the tile a few feet away. "Try again, baby," she encouraged.

Blowing a raspberry in response, the little girl flexed her knees and bounced in place. That earned laughter from both Harry and Lia; she crowed happily but stayed rooted firmly to the floor.

"Oi, you little tease." Harry clapped his hands together and leaned forward. "Luna love," he sang. "C'mon over here."

She regarded him with round eyes and clapped her chubby hands in response, but still didn't move.

At the opening note of "Oh! Darling," Harry's eyes widened and he threw his hands up in the air. "I know you've got moves," he informed her. "Can't leave me hanging now."

With another high pitched squeal, the child bobbed her head up and down to the beat and then slowly, slowly shuffled one foot out ahead of the other.

Lia held her breath as she watched her daughter take a halting step toward Harry, his eyes bright with pride as he murmured encouragement. One step turned into two and then three, until she had staggered the short distance across the floor and into his waiting arms.

Clapping her hand over her mouth, Lia exhaled a laugh as Harry lifted Luna up high over his head and blew kisses into her belly.

"Oh, my little moonbeam. So proud of you," he chuckled. His twinkling green eyes met Lia's and they shared an incredulous grin. "Would you look at that. Got yourself a walker!"

He gave the little girl another squeeze before setting her back on her feet and pointing at Lia. "Go get your mumma, yeah?"

"Come here, big girl!" Lia held her hands out and watched as Luna gleefully teetered her way over. When she reached her mother, she clapped her hands proudly and Lia dissolved into giggles. She pulled Luna into her arms, peppering her face with kisses.

Harry grinned as he unfolded himself from the ground and collected the wine glasses that sat on the table. He crouched beside them, offering one to Lia.