Part III

July 2018

Less than 24 hours after his flight, Harry found himself back at LAX circling the arrivals area until he spotted his friend emerge from inside the terminal. He eased the Range Rover up to the curb and popped the trunk before quickly ducking out and around the back. If there were photographers he didn't see them, and frankly it was the least of his concerns at the moment.

"Harold." Nick's greeting was certainly tamer than usual, but he pulled him into an embrace that was almost stifling.

Harry returned it wholeheartedly, clapping his hand on his back in silence. After a long moment they stepped apart, Harry grabbing his friend's duffel bag and settling it into the back of the vehicle before they made their way around to their respective doors.

"Thanks for picking me up, mate," Nick continued, pulling his seatbelt across his lap. "Appreciate the accommodations too."

"Full service host, he is."

Nick whipped around at the sound of another voice from the back seat, eyes nearly popping out of his head.

"Niall fucking Horan."

"Grimmy," Niall nodded in greeting, reaching out to clasp his friend's hand.

"Aren't you on the road?" he demanded, before adding a sincere, "I'm glad you're here."

"Between shows," Niall confirmed, settling back against the seat. "I have a couple upstate later in the week, but..." He trailed off. "Felt like this is where I needed to be anyway."

Harry and Nick both nodded their silent understanding.

Before long they were sat eating Indian food out of takeaway containers on Harry's balcony, catching up, remembering, laughing over old stories.

"Right, and after that interview Sam took the absolute piss out of me about wanting to be the new fifth member of 1D," Nick snorted. "What a wanker."

Niall smirked around his glass. "You never asked, Grim. Would've given the hiatus a second thought."

"Hiatus. Right." Nick rolled his eyes. "Always thought Liam would be the first one out, if I'm honest." He paused before pointing a finger at Harry around the glass clutched in his hand. "Or you. Thought you might break away to go solo."

"Heyyy," Harry protested, quickly swallowing his swig of tequila. "I was committed til the bitter end."

"It's true," Niall chuckled. "There's not a disloyal bone in his body."

Nick arched a brow. "Right, we've heard all about his bones."

"Piss off," Harry snorted, tossing a piece of naan at him.

The conversion began to lull once the sun set over the horizon. Nick excused himself, citing "the worst bloody jet lag" he'd ever had, leaving Harry and Niall to catch up and pick at what was left of dinner.

The question he knew was coming was asked more quickly than he expected. Harry pushed a chickpea around with his fork and shrugged noncommittally. "Dunno. Pretty sure she's in Europe."

It was a fair guess; he hadn't exactly asked his ex when she texted him earlier in the day. Word about Sam had reached her too, probably from Nick. It was a kind but formal message offering condolences, and his response was equally short.

Harry glanced up, feeling Niall's curious gaze. "We're not...anymore..." he trailed off with a vague wave of his hand.

"Aye. Sorry, mate." Niall grimaced a little, leaning back in his chair.