Here We Go

The wedding day approached faster than Lucy would have liked. At first, it was weeks away and now... It was tomorrow. The plan was just to wear something from her closet, but when Lopez and Harper heard that, they dragged her out shopping against her will.

"You need to look fantastic."

"Not that you don't now, but you're going to the wedding of your ex and the woman he cheated on you with and then left you for. You need something new for that. Something sleek, sexy-"

"-But doesn't take away from the bride because, you know, you're going to the wedding of your ex and the woman he cheated on you with and left you for, and if you outshine the bride it'll be all kinds of tacky."

"Exactly. Now come on, Chen, you haven't even picked anything out."

"If you're not going to pick anything out, you're at our mercy... Now, go try these on." And with that Nyla shoved a pile of dresses and rompers in her arms and pointed towards the dressing rooms, small rooms shut off from the world by tall, beige, ornate curtains.

Once the curtain was shut she took a moment to collect herself. She wanted and needed this closure. Sure, seeing her ex-boyfriend marry her ex-best friend was not something she would have preferred to be doing on one of her few days off, but as apprehensive and nervous as she was, she was also really excited.

She had become close with so many of their family members and a bunch of her old college friends were going to be there. She was excited to see those people, and excited to move on. Officially close that chapter in her life.

She shook her head and hung the dresses up on one of the hooks, took off her clothes and placed him on the other.

The first dress she put on was a tight-fitting, black cocktail dress that ended just below her knees. The second she stepped out of the changing room Lopez had her phone up, snapping pictures. "Damn, you look good. Spin!"

Lucy did as requested, with probably the first genuine smile on her face since they arrived at the boutique. "What do you think Lucy?"

"The fabric is so soft, and I love the way it makes my ass looks... But I really don't think I should wear black to my ex's wedding."

"Fair."

"Good point."

"There are a couple of other black dresses in the mix, but maybe I can get an attendant to see if they have them in other colours?"

"Here, just pass them and the next time someone comes by, we'll ask."

"Great. Thanks."

And she was back in the changing room. She took one last look at herself in the mirror before taking off the dress. It really did look amazing on her.

Maybe I'll just get it also and hope I have an event to wear it to?

... But the price tag made her second guess that thought.

An a-line scarlet satin floor-length dress was next. She looked like a badass femme fatale but ultimately she, Lopez, and Nyla deemed it too over the top for a wedding, but they made sure to get some pictures.

Then it was a dark green, skin-tight dress with a halter neckline that barely went to her mid-thigh. Kinda sexy, but not enough. Plus the range of movement wasn't all that great.

After that, it was a hot pink knee-length a-line dress, but the fabric was sheer. And while there was backing made of a solid fabric put in the built-in bra and skirt, it was incredibly itchy around her armpits and couldn't see herself feeling comfortable in that dress. Plus, she was worried it would be too much skin for all the elderly relatives that were sure to be in attendance.