9 The Four

Mickey's Diner bustled with vibrant life. The saltiness of sizzling beef and bacon hung thick amid the faint sweetness of freshly baked pastries. Waitresses shouted orders at the kitchen as they rushed between tables, delivering trays of fresh food, while the cooks worked systematically, stacking burgers, preparing the meals, and lining them up for serving on the pass. But despite the fast-paced goings-on, the customers looked relaxed just shootin' the breeze across tables, or chowing down on the freshly made food. The space was larger than The Blue Point - almost twice the floor area, but still, they managed to pack it full. Every booth overflowed with customers on that Friday afternoon, but it wasn't just teens. Older couples, families, their children - this place had them all. I could see why. I could feel it. There was a vibe in the atmosphere like this was the place to be.

Oh... and they had a milk bar. Saying I was jealous would be an understatement.

Just to the left of the entranceway, Gordie slipped onto an empty bench at a table where two other boys were seated on the other side. Chris scooted in next to Gordie, leaving an open spot for me. We must have taken the only free bench in the place. I tucked my backpack under my seat, noticing the humongous store-front window at our backs. Everyone walking past could gawk right in at us! Despite that minor detail though, the place seemed organized and pristinely clean. The red leather seats had a freshness to them that could lift your spirit. No tears at the seams like ours have, no scuff marks or dusty stuffing spilling through the cracks of the leather. The matching red table shone like a mirror, and the chrome edging was polished. The black and white checkered floor looked brand new with not a smudge to be seen, and the walls were painted the brightest white. This was my dream for our diner.

The two boys sitting across from us looked Chris and Gordie's age, roughly. I had seen them walking by the diner a few times, tagging behind the crowd of kids that bustled past once school was out. The boy on the left stared at me scrutinizingly, his eyes obscured behind black-rimmed glasses that had lenses thicker than a milk bottle. The boy on the right started at me wide-eyed, his bright blues sparkling out of his round face as fry after fry disappeared into his mouth. With every chew, his adorable cheeks puffed up into these squeezable squishies that I just wanted to grab and squish!

"Are you lost?" Glasses asked me.

"This is Teddy and Vern," Chris introduced me, gesturing to Glasses first. "Guys, this is Cass. She's from the Blue Point."

Teddy's eyes went from Chris, then to me, then to Chris. "I know that... but why-"

"She's here to snoop on the competition." Chris chuckled at me, and I shoved him in the arm. "I invited her."

Teddy shook it off, then grabbed one of Vern's fries from his little woven basket and ate it.

"Hey! Those are mine!" Vern mumbled, mouth full.

"Sharing is caring," Teddy smirked.

Vern raised an eyebrow, then shrugged and picked up his eating pace, his cheeks becoming rounder as he crammed more and more fries in.

"Woah!" Teddy exclaimed, drawing Vern's attention. "Did you see that?"

Vern followed Teddy's pointing finger to the booth next to ours which had just become empty after that group had left for the afternoon. Apart from the trays and leftover milkshake glasses, there was really nothing to look at. Even so, Vern stared into it expectantly, a long fry waggling from his lips as he chewed it in.

Quick as a whip, Teddy swiped Vern's milkshake and took a long and stealthy draw through the straw.

"What was it?" Vern asked, still chewing and utterly unaware that he was down an inch or two of his milkshake.