Where'd All The Time Go?

"Hey, you okay?" A hand rested on her back.
She picked her head up, rubbing her eyes as she gasped, "Miller! You're okay!" She sat up, sitting on her knees as he patted her back, "Good to see you too, Violet. You doing alright?"
"I guess, yeah."
He smiled, letting go of her as he began saying hello to the others, leaving Violet as she put her head back down on the pillow.
"Look who finally got released!"

"Miller, hey! Glad you're okay." Clarke spoke.
"Yeah, only took, what, three surgeries?" He turned his head towards Maya, who had brought him back in.
"I hear your fitting right in, Violet too, hm?"
Hearing her own name called, Violet lifted her head again, looking at Maya.
"Hey, leave her out of it." Clarke shook her head, looking at Maya with an annoyed look.

"Twice a day, don't forget. He'll be okay in a few days." She handed Miller a pill container, and his bags, leaving the dorm as Jasper followed.
The two seemed to be in love.

"Violet, you coming to breakfast?" Monty spoke, looking up at her.
"No." She mumbled.
"Why not? You haven't eaten at all."
"I don't feel well."
"Maybe you're hungry, okay? Let's go get you something."
"I said no. My stomach hurts."
"I'll bring you back something, do you wanna try some pancakes?"
"Monty, I'm not hungry." She sighed, pulling the blanket over her chest as she jumped, an alarm blaring once again.

"Hey, what's going on?" Clarke jumped off of the top bunk across from Violet.

"That signal means a surface patrol is back, and someone needs medical attention. I have to go to quarantine." Maya pulled herself out of the room, Clarke nearly following as Jasper grabbed her arm.

"What are you doing?"
"Maybe they found survivors! If our people are hurt we have a right to know, take Violet to breakfast, I'll be back."
"I'm pretty sure we shouldn't go wandering around, Clarke!" He groaned, turning around quickly, "Miller, Miller! Take Violet to breakfast will you!" Jasper called, running after Clarke.

"Okaay, then." Miller sighed. "Breakfast?"
"I don't wanna eat, thanks though."

"Easy enough." He shrugged, laying back down on the bottom bunk across from her.
She laid her head back down on the pillow, curling her legs up into her chest and shutting her eyes, her thoughts drowning out whatever things people were talking about.

"Hey, you ready?"
"What?" Violet sat up coming face to face with the same guy from the night before.
"Kids gotta go to school, come on." He put his hands under her shoulders, pulling her off the top bunk. "No! Put me down!" She argued, pulling her arm around his head, pulling on a thick tuft of matted hair.

"Hey! What are you doing with her?"
"I'm taking her to school, she doesn't have a choice. Ordered by Wallace."
"She can walk on her own, put her down."
He nodded, putting Violet down on her feet, as she gave him the stink eye.
"Miller, don't leave me!" Violet stepped towards him, hugging his legs as he put his hand on her back.
"You'll be fine, just go, okay?"
"No, no!" She pulled her arms tighter, not wanting to leave her friends again.
"Violet, you're gonna get in trouble." Miller whispered, crouching down in front of her as she started to cry.
"It's gonna be fun, there's a bunch of other kids, okay?"

"I don't want to." Her voice squeaked as a lump sat in her throat.
"Like I said, Wallace ordered it, all kids have to."

"I'm not going!" She pulled her arms around Miller, hugging him as he sighed.
A pair of hands started pulling on her, as she screamed.

"NO, NO! MILLER! MILLER, DON'T LEAVE ME!"

"She'll be back around one."

"Miller!" Violet sobbed, watching him back away from her as he covered his mouth, watching her get carried away by the man.

"Put me down, I don't want to go!" She yelled, her breathing becoming faster and more forced as he fought with her to stop kicking him.

"God damn it!" He yelled, putting her down as she started running back towards the big bedroom, already another hallway, away.

He pushed her up against the wall, her head pressing into the cold bricks.
"ENOUGH!"
She froze, shaking.
He pulled on her arms, making her stand sideways as he hit her, over and over again, yelling at her.

"YOU'RE ONLY MAKING THIS HARDER ON YOURSELF! DON'T MAKE ME EXPLODE!"

Violets hands shook as he hit her back again, and finally stopped.

"Stop your crying, and let's go."

She moved quickly to where he was taking her, a large white door opening up into a classroom environment.
There were children's paintings on the walls, and two mini easels in one corner of the room.
Another corner had a wild variety of books, while the other corner had a play area, and the middle was full of circular desks and papers.

He moved, leaving her in the middle of the room.
He walked up to a girl in a light blue dress, and white heels with dark brown hair and bangs that brushed the side of her face.

"Mama?"  Violet looked at her appearance, she was almost identical to her mother.

"Hi, I'm Mrs. Soliz, you're Violet right?" 

Violet nodded, ignoring the lady as she held her hand out for a friendly hand shake.
"Not a hand shaker. Got it."
"Well, now that you're here, let's get you a uniform."
"Uniform?"
"Yes, all kids wear them!"
She took Violets hand, leading her over to a small closet on a back wall, searching through clothes on hangers.
She took a blue dress with a white collar down from a hook, pressing it against Violet and thinking for a moment.
"How old are you?"
"Seven."
"You're bigger than all the other seven year olds. This will fit you."
"Rude," Violet whispered, looking at the dress. "Yeah, not happening."
"I'm sorry?" The teacher almost laughed at Violets response.
"I don't like wearing dresses."
"Well, sweetie you have to now."
"I don't wear dresses, I'll wear whatever the boys wear."
"You're not a boy."
"Yeah, but I'm not wearing a dress."
Mrs. Soliz sighed, hanging the dress back up and fumbling through the drawers, muttering certain things under her breath.

"Here, how's this?"
She held up a grey and baby blue sweater, with a white dress shirt underneath.
Violet stared at it for a moment before nodding.
"Okay."
"And these pants?"
She gave Violet a pair of white khakis, as she nodded.
"Where can I change?"
"Oh, I can help you change."
"Excuse me, what now?" Violet looked at her as if she was stupid. "I don't need help changing, I'm not three."
"O-okay, you can go in there."