Chapter iv| Fish Lips

N E T E Y A M
Fish Lips
PT1

I AM BACK BY AFTERNOON to feed the boy lunch (and dinner). The serene wind rustles my braids pleasantly as I sit there, legs crisscrossed, my blade slicing a Melon Tree fruit in half to share.

"Take it," I say, handing him a half.

As his large finned hand brushes mine, I eye him with close attention. I notice his slim face, but accentuated brow bones, his pale pink with an almost darker shade of turquoise plump lips, and his wide nose that I couldn't stop staring at a day ago. His long dark and full lashes, and his somewhat bulging eyes.

He reminds me of a fish. Exactly a fish. I am allured by his distinct features, to say the least.

"What's your name? You never told me," I say out loud, taking myself aback. My tongue has betrayed me faster than I could think to process.

"Ao'nung," He says. Yellow seeds from the fruit coat his lips, and so his tongue swirls to get them into his mouth. "Yours?" He raises his eyes, expectantly.

"Neteyam," I reply, grinning.

He hums and doesn't say anything after that. I don't either.

During our amicable quietude—my ears perk, picking up on chatter and neighs meters away, as well as heavy cantering down our way. I frown.

My finger presses on my lip in a manner of hush. Ao'nung nods, though his eyes observe my sharp gaze. Fret crosses his face for a fleeting wink.

I silently grab my bow and abruptly come to my senses that I had forgotten about it these past two days.

I peer through the bushes cautiously. My body calms; my ears lower, and my eyes soften. I pursue out a light breath and close my eyes with gratitude. I see that it's my uncle Tsu'tey and his hunting squad, roaming with their Pa'li, their voices vehement and gruff as they talk about their crucial matters.

I go back to sit, resting my bow at my side. Ao'nung looks at me with wide eyes, his shoulders lifted, pryingly.

"It's nothing. Just stay quiet for now," I whisper.

His back slumps and his finger traces patterns on the damp dirt with tedium. I stare at him. My mind wanders. My ears soon twitch as my uncle and his herd strides become distant. I wait a few more minutes.

"They're gone," I finally exhale.

"As I said, you forest people are weird," He says. His voice is dull, but loud, almost a shout like he's been waiting to say that.

"You haven't met the rest of us," I retort, bored of his barb antics.

"If you're weird with your super abilities then I imagine the rest of the clan is," He replies, crossing his arms. His biceps bulge. My eyes wander to that tooth adorning his neck like a necklace.

His collarbones are defined; sharp and with a pleasing curve, unlike some that hold a rectangular-like shape. They protrude nicely. His chin is down, his seemingly big eyes peering up at me through his brow bones in a guile manner.

A fish...

I cackle, my fingers cupping my lips bashfully.
He frowns, confused, and his forehead creases.