Chapter xiii| Lost & Found

N E T E Y A M
Lost & Found
PT1

"YOUR DUMBASS RUINED my hunt! You should be the one to help dad with prepping. I don't wanna have to hear his rambling. It'll be the end for me—" Lo'ak says with a laugh.

I scratch and shake my head with an amused smile, but it quickly falters as I see the clan clumped: their tails whooshing hectic, their daggers and bows out. The air is tense.

Lo'ak and I get concerned. Our steps hasten as we make our way over to the front. Father is talking to a foreign Na'vi—a Metkayina—with his turquoise beefy skin, and multiple tattoos on his face, arms, and chest.

He wears a cape with autumn-like hues, and he holds a spear. A large and pointy spear that one would bleed from simply a graze.

He sports a bun and braids at the scalp with long loose curls, and it reminds me of Ao'nung. Three other Metkayinas stand behind him like guards.

"Your son can not be here, I'm afraid Olo'eyktan Tonowari," Father says.

"We've searched all around and we assume him to be here. Just please let us search," Olo'eyktan Tonowari says, voice eager and with desperation.

Father sighs. He then holds up an accusing finger, pointing it at the Metkayinan leader, "I am certain, but do what you will. Only search our land, nothing more, got it?"

Tonowari crouches and forfeits his spear onto Father's feet, later displaying his empty palms with peace and trust, "Do not worry, I have no ill intentions, but to find my dear son," He says firmly. Father nods.

At that moment I ponder. My head pulsates and I'm certain it's about to explode. My heart races as I even step forward; my legs hauling me with a push and haste that I don't have time to think.

A lost son and so coincidentally Metkayina...

I am determined just as I am scared. Not because of what I'm doing, but because of the shameful lecture that's holding off until later.

"I know your son," I say. I roll my shoulders back and peer at those azure eyes of the man.

He looks at me with hope, and it drives me to spew out more: "I have been taking care of him in our spot. I'll lead you to it, though I'm not sure if he'll even be there," I exhale shakily, my lips already quivering, "He said he was leaving today—"

He leans into my line of sight and smiles tenderly, "Lead me to him," He says. I nod and call for my Ikran, quickly forming Tsaheylu and hopping onto her as she dashes toward me like the wind. I ignore all the nonplused looks around me.

Among the crowd, I see a smirking Lo'ak and a smiling Kiri. I almost smile myself, because this is what true freedom feels like. Eywa has heard Ao'nung.

I urge the Olo'eyktan to climb, and he does so, grasping onto my shoulders. I let us fly the path, and only then did I realize how long the distance is, and how isolated our secret spot is—far from my clan.

Maybe it is the effect of riding high and losing time. No entertainment and just air. Simply gliding. Or maybe it's the fact that I'd been so eager and lovestruck to notice the huge distance in my constant visits.

After some minutes we hop off and scurry behind the trees and bushes. I halt, my eyes darting from corner to corner, but no sight of Ao'nung is found. He has left.

My heart sinks and for once I drop to my knees, fisting the ground as tears burn. Where the hell can he be now? Perhaps lost somewhere else?

The Olo'eyktan crouches and pats my back, "It's alright. You did what you could. You've confirmed to me that he's still alive and well, and that's all I've ever wanted, Thank you," He croons. "Let's go back, your family is waiting. I'll just have to look more—" He stops mid-sentence.

I hear rustling, but I don't care for it. My eyes are still glossy, my ears are droopy and I'm clawing the dirt until the cobalt blue of my knuckles turns pale. The Olo'eyktan stands, and I think he's ready to go back, so I lift my head...but I freeze.

Ao'nung is standing there, crying. He runs to his dad and they engulf in a warm and tight hug. I blink my eyes dry and smile. My heart twirls with overjoy. It darts all around my fuzzy chest like a ping-pong ball.

I stand to get back to my Ikran but Ao'nung calls my name:

"Neteyam!" He croaks through his tears. My stomach twists at the sadness in his eyes, but I push the feeling aside as he walks to me.

"Thank you so much," He whispers, his big arms wrapping around me tight. I wrap mines around his back and bury my head in the crook of his neck. I close my eyes and let out a contented sigh.

"I thought you left," I say to him with a soft quiver in my voice. He shakes his head.

"I couldn't," He says. His large hand cradles the back of my head, "I was buying some time."

I open my eyes and meet the baffled expression of Tonowari. I detach from the hug and offer Ao'nung a grin as I say: "Let's go home."

Turns out that Ikran can only carry two people at best. They have small backs, and I had been foolish not to recognize it. I connect our bond, and speak with Mèmxè:

"You are a smart girl. You will lead these Na'vi back to our home. You will follow me—I'll guide you from below, yeah? These water Na'vis aren't for the jungles, it'll take long to get home with the many dangers and branches and trees they don't know to hop or walk over of. Do you understand?"

She shrieks and I take it as an agreement. I detach the Tsaheylu and urge the Metkayinas to hop on. I help Ao'nung a bit, seeing as he keeps slipping. I grasp him by his thigh and waist and for a moment, I am ready to risk everything—but it dawns upon me that Olo'eyktan Tonowari is within our presence.

My tongue pokes my cheek with sourness.

I like to think that when Ikrans choose their forever riders that they indisputably choose with intention—some Na'vi like themselves. Their other half. Mèmxè proves this as she has no problem following me from the highest point. She's smart and learns fairly quickly.

She trusts every word I say. We share mutual love and understanding, and I'm thankful for a banshee like her. Our connection runs deeper than the depths.

She trusts those foreign Na'vis on her back. Na'vis that aren't me. She trusts them because I said to. And I am certain that she likes Ao'nung—because after all, she is my Ikran.

13