11. Imagine - Not enough

[ Sad Fact ] Interview

He thinks Kenny left him because he wasn't good enough.

"It's me

"It's me." you knock your secret knocking sign.

After a few seconds, Levi opens the door. His eyes are even more lifeless than usual, expression filled with sadness and shoulders slumped. You quickly scurry into the small apartment and sit down on the couch. Levi, who closes the door unusually slowly, simply stares at the wall.

"What's wrong?" you ask worriedly and get up. Slowly you lead him to the sofa. "Levi?"

"He's gone," he whispers.

"Who?" you put a hand on his shoulder.

"Kenny!" he hisses and looks at the floor. "He left without saying anything."

"Forever, or...?"

"He didn't come back," he murmurs and lies down.

You nod understandably and, without thinking about it, lie down next to him, wrap your arms tightly around his waist and snuggle up close. Levi tenses briefly and stays still, but then visibly relaxes and leans a little against you.

Since you both grew up together, your bond was very strong. From an early age, you fought your way through the underground together, tried to support your mothers and cuddled up all night under your blankets to talk about the most random things.

It was normal for you to sleep next to each other, but instead of feeling secure, you were overcome by sadness at the sight of him.

"Why do you think he left?" you ask against his ear.

He is quiet for a moment before whispering angrily, "He kept telling me I needed to get stronger. Every time we trained, he repeated those words." he turns further away from you so you don't see his hurt expression. At least he had to be strong for you.

Confused, you take his hand. "You think that..."

With watery eyes and a sour look, he turns to you. "Why else would he have left? I wasn't-" he holds back his tears and closes his eyes. "I wasn't strong enough, (y/n). If I had trained more.....I-I would have been better."

You shake your head. "No, Levi. Don't tell yourself that. He wouldn't-"

"Stop talking!" he almost shouts and sits up. "Why are you still here, (y/n)? I can't take care of you!"

With tears in your eyes, you hug him tightly. "You are more than what Kenny sees in you. You are strong, brave and the best friend I have. Stop thinking like that."

Trembling, he also embraces you and lets you calm him down. "You mean that?"

"Yes." you whisper.

He doesn't seem to believe you. "You really want to stay with me?"

"I do." you repeat the same words 20 years later.

You are enough. Your are so enough it's unbelievable.