Chapter Four

A darkness had settled over the Glade, and the distance sound or laughter and conversation filled the air. The girl wasn't sure if it was always there and she didn't notice, or if this noise was new. Newt just laughs at her reaction and begins walking in the darkness across the glade. A burning light is emitting in the distance, which only can mean one thing: this 'bonfire'.

      "That happens every time another person is sent up here?"

      " Yep! Try not think on it too much, would ya? Now that the doors closed, we can head to the bonfire. You're our bloody guest of honor after all, Greenie. But there are a few...rules."

" Rules?"

      " Yes. First, no drinkin'. Second, no fights with Gally. Don't trust anyone, those bugger's don't know right from bloody wrong."

      " Well thanks...?" She gave him a sideways look." May I ask, why not?" Her question was vague.

      " Because hangovers bloody suck, so don't even try. And Gally...won't be easy on you if you fight em'. He can be a mean bugger."

      " Okay..." the girl mumbles, agreeing to obey his rules. "And Alby mentioned a Tour earlier...I know it hasn't happened yet, but what will I be doing here?"

" Jobs?"

" Yeah, I suppose."

      " Jobs you want to get, or jobs that are offered?" He gave her an amused sideways look.

" Want to get."

      " Well Tack-hoe, Med-jacks, Cook, and Gardener aren't bad." He listed off. "Tack-hoes and gardeners are practically the same thing, just more heavy liftin'. But there are Builders, Slicers, Baggers, Brick-Nicks..." He trailed off.

      " All the jobs take place in this place?" She says, a little confused, and a bit impressed. It wasn't hard to hide that she hated this place, so the tinge of this odd emotion was new for her.

      " There are Runners but," he says slowly and carefully, "nobody likes that job." he finished, causing the girl to raise an eyebrow.

" The boys in the Maze? That's a job?"

      "Yes," Newt sighed, eager to change the subject, "Now lighten up! We are almost there!" They continue walking until they both reach the edge of the deadheads, a few meters from the cheers and bonfire. "Ready?"

      " ...I guess so." She still didn't even know what this bonfire was. Well, she knew what a bonfire was just not this bonfire. They both jog over, attempting not to trip over any logs or sticks that cover the dark ground. They arrive at the edge of the party, and Newt nudges her shoulder.

      "Cya Greenie!" She waves him off as he joins the others.  He would keep an eye on her. She stood awkwardly for a moment, taking in the surroundings. They all look so happy, even in the midst of all this confusion and fear they all faced, assuming they came the same way she did. A small smile formed on her lips as she began to walk into the crowd.

      Various makeshift stumps and instruments were being played by whooping and yelling Gladers, pounding on various pots, pans, and a few drums. The beat echoed throughout the Glade, bouncing off the cold stone walls.

      She could see that there are many different groups, which she assumes have something to do with the mentioned jobs. Some are laughing, some are talking, some are getting drunk, some are dancing, but they all seem to be having fun.

All except her.

      A wave of worry washes over the girl, the familiar feeling ruining the momentary curiosity and joy. Her smile vanished as quickly as it came. But this was different, a kind of dread. Fear.