Chapter Ten

Newt had sent her on her own, having to run the Maze that day. She knew she was bound for a day with the Med-Jacks and was fairly excited about it. After a quick breakfast of a banana (It was all she really could stomach after the Slicer interaction and Hayden...) She made her way back towards the map room, where the medical hut stood beside it, a short distance away.

It was small- smaller than the map room- and made of the same crude concrete walls as the comparable room. A roof of sticks tied together with twine was set haphazardly on its roof, reminding the girl yet again that this was all built by under qualified teenage boys. For teenage boys. She then met the infamous Clint and Jeff, this time not as a patient, and liked them much more than the Keeper of Slicers or any of the Tack-hoes.

"So, Clint," she said. The Keeper glanced down at her, then resumed his work wrapping various pieces of cloth while the girl sat cross legged on the dusty ground, organizing first aid equipment.

"Yeah, Greenie, what is it?"

"How many Keepers total is there?" Cadi asked, trying to act casual. "And what are the job options?"

"Well, you got the Builders, the Sloppers, Baggers, Cooks, Map-makers, us Med-jacks, Track-Hoes, Blood Housers. The Runners, of course. I don't know, a few more, maybe. Pretty much keep to myself, my own stuff, and Jeff." He kicked the mentioned boy in the shin, playfully. Most of the words were self-explanatory, but Cadi wondered about a couple of them.

"What's a Slopper"

"That's what the shanks do that can't do nothin' else. Clean toilets, clean the showers, clean the kitchen, clean up the Blood House after a slaughter, everything. Spend one day with them suckers—that'll cure any thoughts of goin' that direction, I can tell ya that." Clint chuckled, "What I was bound for till i wrapped some poor shanks leg. Showed potential, I guess. Made the Med-jacks."

"What about the Builders?" Cadi asked as she folded a particularly dull knife in between a dirty cloth, questioning how sanitary this all really was. Clint cleared his throat and kept on working as he answered.

"They're the ones take care of all the building stuff for the Glade. Ya know, building buildings and such. During off times they do other stuff round the Glade. Actually, a lot of Gladers have more than one job. Anyone tell you that?"

"Nope." Cadi ignored the question and moved on, determined to get as many answers as possible. "What about the Baggers? I know they take care of dead people, but it can't happen that often, can it?"

"Thats a creepy fella. He acts as guards and poh-lice, too. Everyone just likes to call 'em the Bagger. Have fun that day." He snickered; the first time Cadi had heard him do so—there was something very likable about it.

She had more questions. Lots more. Alby and everyone else around the Glade never wanted to give her the answers to anything. And here was Clint, who seemed perfectly willing. But suddenly, Cadi didn't feel like talking anymore. For some reason the Keeper of Runners had popped into her head again, out of the blue, and then thoughts of Hayden, Grievers, the Maze, and being the only girl.

Her new life pretty much sucked. She drew a deep, long breath. Just work, she thought.

      "You alright there?" Jeff questioned, looking over this shoulder at the quieted girl. He was standing near a small storage cabinet, organizing the equipment Cadi and Clint was cleaning and wrapping.

      "Yeah! Tired, i guess."

      " Understandable." Jeff sighed, turning to face the pair, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, "Whole Glades never been this happy bout' a shucking Banishing." The girl realized he was referring to their last interaction- a hysterical Cadi, confused and in shock, with her verbally harassing the two boys. She guessed she was better now, completely over it.