Chapter 10

Leaning against the wall by the door, Arsenio stood with roses held in one hand and a large brown paper bag in the other. My heart thudded in my chest as I watched his lips moving, speaking to his sister under his breath, words I couldn't make out. Lucia crossed her arms, seemingly not impressed however when he lifted the brown bag she all but stepped aside letting him in. Lucia closes the door excusing herself to the bathroom as Arsenio finds his way over, squatting in front of me.

We both didn't say anything for a moment, just looking at one another. His hand reached out, putting the roses towards me. I pull them out of his arms taking in the scent of the beautiful flowers, my eyes fluttering shut.Feeling paper sliding into one of the palms holding the bouquet, I open my eyes noting the ultrasound I had thought I lost.

"I'm sorry, Mara," Arsenio sat down putting the bag beside him, "I know you are still trying to figure out how to handle everything and me pushing you to reveal what has happened isn't the answer. I was out of line saying you were protecting him, I think I just want to protect you and knowing someone has hurt you, hurts me."

Placing the roses beside me on the couch, I tuck the ultrasound inside of them and wrap my arms around his neck. My body moves off the couch into his arms on the floor as he embraces me back, curling his arms around my waist. I could tell his apology was real, I could tell he really cared and that was all that mattered to me. My mother was right.

We would have a difficult time navigating what our new relationship would look like, but I would rather him in my life than not.

"I think I may have overreacted. We both need to come to terms that we're new people and come to get to know who we are now rather than who we were in the past," I pull my arms back from his neck still seated on his thighs, my cheeks refused to blush as I look away, "I'm glad you want to protect me but I can handle this. If I need anything I'm sure I'll let you know."

Arsenio nodded, hands still holding onto my hips skimming my backside. My body moved on its own, leaning in his touch as my head fell to his shoulder. We sat for a couple moments in comfort as he massaged my backside. It felt nice.

My stomach let out a groan, reminding myself of the hunger I was feeling as I pulled my head back up.

"I have a solution for that..." Arsenio pulled over the paperback, opening it so I could view the contents.

"You did not..."

I love this man.

"Homemade steak street tacos, I remember they were your favorite."

I let out a squeal giving him a quick hug before standing up, pulling him with me to the kitchen. Although, we have much more to learn about one another and being close friends again some things haven't changed.

***

"I'm so full," Elijah groaned, holding onto his stomach as he laid on the couch.

Lucia nodded in agreement laying on the opposite end, holding onto her stomach as well. Arsenio was an amazing chef, everything he seemed to make always tasted good, so good you couldn't seem to stop eating. Lucia and Elijah ate so many tacos, as if competing against one another while I ate a good amount for two.

Arsenio and I laughed at the two from the sink as we washed the dishes together. While he washed, I dried placing the dishes in the correct spot in the kitchen. It was a comfortable silence as we moved around the kitchen cleaning and putting the dishes away.

"Thank you for this," I move the rag swiftly against the pan, drying it, "Best way to end this day."

"Anything for you," Arsenio washed the last dish, emptying out the sink of water, "How'd everything go after I..."

He trailed off unsure of saying dropped off or left.

"It was bad," I dried the last dish, putting it away before nodding towards my bedroom, Arsenio trailing behind.

Lucia and Elijah lay fast asleep on the couch, soft snores heard and the fan in the kitchen sounded into the apartment.  With Lucia's feet near Elijahs back and Elijah's feet nearing her head, it reminded me back when they we to do sleepover's as children. I snap a quick picture of the two before moving into my bedroom. Arsenio followed behind me looking around.

Although not fully done, I have everything I need. My bed, storage container for my belongings, and rug filling most of the area. There was a list of furniture I wanted to add to the space, but at this time had more important matters to figure out. I moved in, sitting on the bed as Arsenio moved around the space taking it all in. It was a pretty spacious room, leaving space for a desk and shelving units for my clothing and shoes. I lucked out in the apartment I've received.

"I'm not getting that job," I play with my fingers seated on the bed, "I'll have to look for another one."

"Samara..."He stepped closer, moving towards me, "What happened?"

"The man made a pass at me," I pulled the blanket over my shoulders, my nose sniffed as I shrugged, "I never wanted that job anyway."

Sitting beside me, his fists clenched and unclenched as I told him what happened from the moment I stepped foot in that office. I left out the whole police ordeal not wanting to get into that just yet but let him know how the rest of my day had gone.

"Where did you interview?" His tone made me uneasy.

"I'm not telling you, I know exactly what you'll do."

"He can't get away with that, what if you're not the only person he's done that to?" His eyes heated.

"I have a feeling that everything will work out how it is supposed to for him."

Arsenio, however, wasn't going to let that go and knew he would ask Elijah later on for more information. He wouldn't ever let anyone get away with making a pass on someone he loves and he would definitely make sure of that. A yawn escaped my lips as I blinked slowly, feeling the sleep that wanted to take me.

"It's late, I should be heading home," He whispered, pushing the hair behind my ear, "Besides, I have an early morning at work."

"I thought you had taken the time off?" I ask in confusion laying my head against the softened headboard.

"You were upset at myself taking time away. If we want our new friendship to work, I have to do what it will take to make you feel more comfortable," He shrugged, zipping up his jacket, "But don't think I still won't be here whenever you need me."

"Thank you for that... You don't need to leave though, I'm not even that," I lie while another yawn takes over.

A smile lifts to his lips as he stands up from the bed.

"Good night, Samara. Love you."

His face twists, indecisive about his next movements before he stops and bends down. His lips meet my forehead and a smile quirks at my lips.

"Goodnight, Arsenio, Love you more."

***

How did you like chapter 10? What do you think Samara's next moves will be?

What do you think will happen next, comment below!

Also don't forget to star the chapters you enjoy, share, and comment! Engagement helps me to know who's reading as well as what you like!