part iii : begin again

Hawkins Medical, 1986

"How's Max?" Jonathan had asked Lucas, who only looked up at him with tears in his eyes, shaking his head.

"I know we said that we should believe in her to recover from this, but… I'm starting to lose hope, Jonathan."

"I'm sorry."

"You weren't there when Vecna nearly had her. It was like my worst nightmare painted into reality." Jonathan could only apologise again, offering to grab him a cup of coffee. The younger boy nodded, hand still holding the redhead's.

He walked towards the coffee machine, looking up when a hand reached for a cup at the same time as him.

"Sorry. You first."

"Thank you." He turned to the girl who wore a nurse uniform, her short bangs falling onto her face. "Long night?"

"You could say that. My friend still hasn't woken up."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"I'm Jonathan. Byers."

The girl chuckled, extending a hand out. "I remember, you had that little bowl cut when you first walked into school. You probably don't remember me, Cornelia Edythe."

"You were always that girl that stood up for me."

"Correct. So you do remember."

"I only remember you making Carol cry after you told her she wasn't pretty." Cornelia laughed again, shaking her head.

"Was I wrong?" He allowed himself to chuckle a little, relieved he could still laugh somehow.

"Not really."

"See?" They shared another light laughter, Jonathan's eyes lingering as he tried to place who she looked similar to.

"How've you been, little Byers?"

"Good. I mean, minus all… this."

"I get you. I actually just drove down here to visit my uncle and brother, see if I could trick them into coming back with me to New York."

"B-brother?"

"Yeah. Kid's about your age, maybe older. You actually went to the same school together."

"Hawkins High?" 

"Yeah. I told him that he didn't have to push himself, but he kept on insisting. Now, I support the kid, really. And I have no issues sending the money for his tuition. And hell-forbid, I love that kid so much. But everyone's opinions of him upset and scared me.

"But he wasn't fazed even in the slightest. He kept on insisting that 1986 was finally, finally going to be his year. So, I gave them the money to attend school. I don't know how graduation will even happen at this point, but… to see the kid graduate.." she trailed off, sighing.

"Maybe he finally graduated, you know. Maybe '86 really is his year."

"I sure hope you're right, little Byers. Because I will go through hell and back to make sure I see him walk the stage and he receives that damn diploma."