NEPO BABY

▨﹕THERAPY SESSION﹒。

Therapy.

The time where you're supposed to sit there and talk about your feelings — and its to some random stranger who doesn't even know you. How is it supposed to help? And all the stupid worksheets and exercises they make you do. Like, how is coloring a stupid mandala supposed to make you feel better?

Worst part is, they always ask these super personal questions that no one would want to answer. And its always those lame platitudes like 'just think positive' or 'you need to learn to let it go.'.

The girl sat in the therapist's office, tapping her foot impatiently, obviously bored. She had no interest in being here, but her friends had forced her to come. The therapist sat across from her, asking questions about her life and her struggles, but she refused to give him anything more than one-word answers.

     Finally, the therapist leaned forward and asked, "Chauntel, — have you been using drugs?"

     Chauntel rolled her eyes. "No, I haven't."

     The therapist studied her for a moment before responding. "Well, your friends have already told me that you've been using drugs, Chauntel. I was just waiting to see if you would be honest with me."

     Chauntel's raised an eyebrow. "What? They told you that?"

     The therapist nodded. "Yes, they did. And I want you to know that it's okay. There's no need to be ashamed. We can work together to find a way to help you."

     But Chauntel remained uninterested. "I don't need your help. I'm fine."

     The therapist leaned forward, his voice gentle. "Chauntel, addiction is a serious issue. It can ruin your life and the lives of those around you. I want to help you before it's too late."

     But Chauntel remained stubborn. "I don't have a problem. My friends just like to party, and I go along with it sometimes. That's all."

    The therapist sighed. He knew that Chauntel was in denial, but he also knew that he couldn't force her to accept help. "Okay, Chauntel. If that's how you feel, then there's not much more I can do for you. But I want you to know that if you ever change your mind, I'm here to help."

Chauntel just shrugged and stood up, ready to leave. She didn't care about the therapist's warning.

END SCENE