22

Alabaster snow crunches beneath my feet, winter was now in full swing and food was incredibly sparse. The last couple of months had been the worst I'd ever experienced, Joel was practically immobile and myself and Ellie were worried sick. His condition wasn't improving all that much and we were lucky to even patch him up with the little medical tools we had.

My movement ceases as I spot a little bunny and my hand goes into a stop motion, gesturing for Ellie to do the same. I give her the all clear and watch as an arrow soars through the air, it whistles harshly as it goes and not before long plunges through the animal's neck. The ground beneath the bunny is painted red and pools around its wound. That's dinner for tonight sorted,

"Good job, kiddo." I say, smiling proudly at the little girl as she goes to retrieve our food. She bends over and picks up its limp body before trudging back over to tie it to the horses' reigns. Once it's secure we begin to return back to Joel but a snap sounds which alerts our attention.

"Shhh." I place a finger to my lips and Ellie nods in understanding, slowly, we retreat from Clarke leaving him tied up before reentering the clearing.

"Holy shit." Ellie quietly mumbles and I can't help but part my lips in shock, a large and brut buck is blissfully unaware of our presence as it nibbles at some of the greenery at its hooves. Ellie, without warning, strikes the bow and another arrow soars and plunges the jugular of the buck. To our dismay, it doesn't die but rather spills blood everywhere as it runs away, startled.

"C'mon, quick." We hurry our pace, treading through the snow and following the bloody path from the buck. At last, after what feels like forever, we see the buck out cold congealed in its own blood. It was almost saddening to see but my hunger subdued that feeling almost immediately.

"Finally, food!" Ellie cheers and my lips upturn at her excitement, this was the best we'd had in a while. But our happiness is short lived because two figures emerge from the forestry, their steps are cautious but they both have guns pointed right at us.

"Drop your weapons! Now!" I demand firmly, withdrawing my own revolver. The two men stare at me wide eyed, the younger one gives the other a pointed look but they eventually comply. Slowly, they place their weapons to the ground and I breath out in relief.

"Hello...we just wanna talk." The older one says, taking a step closer to us and I don't trust him one bit.

"Don't come any closer," I snap ",Or I'll put one right between your eyes. Same goes for your buddy there." My eyes are narrowed and I notice that Ellie has now withdrawn her little pocket knife.

He holds his hands up, backing a few paces away from us,

"Alright, alright. My name's David, this here is my friend, James." He gestured to himself first, then the other guy. "We're from a larger group - woman, children. We're all very, very hungry." The other guy nods in agreement.

"I don't remember asking." I say, trying to keep this conversation short so that we can go our parting ways.

David scoffs, "Listen, we aren't asking for much. Maybe you'd be willing to trade for some of that meat there. We'll give you whatever you like. Weapons, ammo, clothes- "

"-Medicine," Ellie interrupted a little too quickly which had me sighing, she should've let me do the talking, "Do you have any antibiotics?" She then asks a little slower.

The men exchanged looks, as if they're secretly communicating and then David turns back to us, saying,

"We do. Back at our camp. You're welcome to follow us, both of you." He then gestures to Ellie beside me.

"We're not following you anywhere," I respond, scowling at the men, "He can go get it. If he comes back with what I need, deer's all yours. Anyone else shows up - "

"You'll put one right between my eyes?" He finished for me.

"That's right."

"Two bottles of penicillin and a syringe." David eventually says, James tries to protest, but David doesn't let him. "Make it fast. Go on."

"We'll take that rifle." I demand, gesturing for Ellie to scoop it up. He definitely wouldn't try anything with two guns now pointed at him.

"Uh...he's gonna be a while, you mind if we take shelter from the cold?" David then asks, eyes flickering toward an old cabin of sorts just left of us. Ellie shifts uncomfortably beside me but it looks like we've got no choice,

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." I whisper to her and her shoulders relax a little, "Bring him with us." I turn to David and he nods before giving the buck's antlers a good tug.

A silence pools between the three of us, the only thing to be heard is the snow crunching beneath our feet and the buck dragging along the terrain.

"Here's good." I mutter, and Ellie goes to the tarpaulin in the corner to try and cover the buck,

"Good thinking, little girl." David praises Ellie's actions and I can't help but grimace at his words. There was an underlying tone to it which made me feel quite frankly uncomfortable. Ellie just nods, unsure of what to do with herself.

The silence is evident once more as David prepares a fire for warmth and Ellie places herself next to me as we sit opposite the older man.

There was something off about his demeanour, but I couldn't quite figure it out. I knew for a fact that I didn't feel safe whatsoever and I was thankful that Ellie didn't have to encounter this on her own.

I felt so safe with Joel and I knew that he would protect me to all costs but this man, well the feeling was very much the opposite. Even the thought alone sent shivers down my spine.

"You know, you girls really shouldn't be out on your own." I stare at the man, feeling incredibly at unease

"We don't like company." Ellie nods in agreement.

He nods with understanding. "I see. What's your names?"

"Confidential to you." Ellie quickly responds, not giving me any time to get a word in.

"Listen, I know it's not easy to trust a couple of strangers." He chuckles.

"Finally, something we can agree on." I say, rolling my eyes sarcastically which he doesn't appreciate.

"Whoever's hurt...You clearly care about them. I'm sure everything's gonna be just fine." I wasn't too sure why he was saying this but I nodded nonetheless,

"Hmm." I reply, gazing into the distance through the window but what makes me straighten up is the familiar sound of the infected, "Y'all hear that too right?" Ellie glances at me wearily before nodding, confirming my thoughts.

"I'd really like that rifle back now, little girl." My eyes narrow onto David and I shake my head,

"No chance."