Chapter 2

"What do you mean you're not staying?!"Xiaotian yelled.

He had already brought everything from the cave and was standing in front of the palace. Macaque helped him out but broke the unfortunate news to him. Xiaotian was so happy that he had agreed to stay. Now he was frustrated and mad at him, it broke Macaque to see him like that.

"Listen kid, I thought we've already talked about this. My job requires me to work near the town. I can't live here. Besides, you're twenty. It's time to leave my side."

"Are you kidding me? I lived by myself for years, until you showed up and moved yourself in. I'm not saying you have to stay in the palace. But at least live near it. You and I both know the conditions we used to lived in. It's not safe." Xiaotian pleaded.

Macaque looked back at him. He sighed and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Ok fine, I'll find a place near the palace."

Xiaotian smiled and hugged the other monkey. Macaque returned his own smile and embraced him.

"I'll tell your old boss that you're quitting. So do me a favour and get a new job."

"Yeah I will. Come to the palace after work. I want to take advantage of the food over here." Xiaotian said.

Macaque chuckled and said his goodbyes. He created a shadow portal below him and sank down. He appeared behind a stall filled with potions and suspicious objects. A woman with long black hair and heavy makeup stood at the front. Macaque smirked and walked quietly, he came behind her.

"Boo." The woman shrieked.

"Why you little- Macaque! How many times do I have to tell you not to sneak up on me?!" She yelled.

"Sorry Spider Queen. I couldn't resist, you got a mission for me?" He asked.

"Yeah, I was gonna give you a woman who's a prostitute but I didn't know if that was malicious enough for you. I don't get it, why're so picky with the people you kill if you're a hit man? Why have a moral compass?"

"How many times do I have to tell you? I only kill those who have plagued this world with their existence. Let me guess, the person who asked for the woman to be killed is her kid?" He asked.

"Yup, the girl said she's been flirting with her husband. I'm excited for this one, she's been nothing but rude to me when shopping in my stall." She said.

"So you're basically killing her for your own gain." Macaque pointed out.

The woman shrugged and took out some parchment for him to read.

"Here's the man you're going to kill. It's a pretty big task, he's a higher up. He works at the palace so it's going to be difficult. His name is Jing Ke, he seems pretty young. An old friend of his requested his removal."

She led him toward her cauldron, she gave it a stir. The liquid swirled to reveal an image of a young man with green eyes and brown hair. He looked down at the substance and gritted his teeth.

"I'm not doing it." Macaque said instantly.

"Come on Macaque! He's giving big money for it too!" She yelled.

"I thought we both agreed to not do anyone who's associated with the emperor."

"He's probably not that important. Besides, we haven't been getting much business. This could end that." She proposed.

Macaque thought for a bit, he didn't want to risk it. Especially since Xiaotian was now living there. He didn't even need the money since he was free to go to the palace anytime.