Ch 28 Examination

Alexander Shard POV:

My mind lurched to a stop as the world spun around me, blurring my vision into a spinning mess. Then I felt lightheaded as the ground wobbled, even though I knew it wasn't. Knowing I was about to fall, I grabbed onto Helen's leg, groaning from the feeling of the teleportation gate to Xyrus. Teleporting through Stormgates is way better than this.

A wave of nausea crept up from my stomach making me double over nearly throwing up. I took a deep shivering breath as I looked around, trying to get my mind off the nausea. Even though I knew it probably wouldn't help.

"Sir! Put down your weapons!" A dogmatic voice ordered from the side. Looking over, I noticed the swarm of city guards armed with spears and swords, a few of them glowed dimly with mana.

A shared breath of relief fell from the group of adventurer's around me. Closest of which being the Twin Horns, as for the rest of them. Adventurers who knew about me came along with us for my parent's peace of mind.

"You heard him," Helen called out, returning an arrow to its quiver and slinging her bow around herself. The rest followed suit, releasing the hold on their mana and returning their weapons to dimension rings or scabbards.

Helen crouched down and scooped up me and Zephyr before standing back up in one fluid motion. "Sorry, Al, I know going through gates isn't fun. You'll feel better in a bit," she cooed, patting me and my bond on the head. Zeph and I groaned in sync as we tried not to throw up.

"Oh, it's you," a respectable-looking city guard called out as he emerged from behind the others. "Welcome back to Xyrus. And I do apologize for my subordinate's actions, a few bandits let their mana beasts loose in the city after passing through that gate recently."

"They really did that?! I swear these bandits are getting out of hand," Helen replied as she shook the guard's hand with a friendly smile on her face.

The guard chuckled, "I swear they try to sneak into Xyrus in the most foolish ways." A curious look filled his eyes when he looked at me, "Who's this kid? Did Adam kidnap a child, and you're returning him?"

"Hey!"

"You can't just accuse Adam like that," Angela chastised the guard.

"Thank you, Angela."

"I could see Adam doing it for enough gold," Jasmine murmured from behind.

"Oh for fu-"

"— Language," Angela slapped her hand over his mouth. "I still won't tolerate you swearing around Alexander even if it's your dying breath."

"THAT'S HIM!?" the guard exclaimed looking at me. "We all thought he was dead after that incident, where did you find him?"

"Well, it's more like he found us." Durden rubbed the back of his head with a laugh. "We thought the same till he just found us in the glades two weeks ago."

"Well, that's neither believable nor probable. But neither is a teleportation gate getting attacked mid-teleport by a dragon, yet it happened... Alright, I won't press you any further. Have a nice time in Xyrus and keep the kid out of trouble," The guard smiled before letting us pass.

After walking out of earshot Helen turned to me. "Al, remember that lying is very bad. Especially to people you love."

"Then why did you lie?" I asked pretending to be a bit more childlike than I was. But Zephyr was earnestly wondering why.

Helen grimaced, "Well... uh... Sometimes good people have to do bad things. But that's always for good reasons, just like how we did."

"It just looked like you didn't want to explain what really happened?" I replied.