Chapter 17 - Cursed Womb

I woke up with a sudden stop. I groaned, looking at the side where Ijichi was sitting. He looked at me apologetic, making a sign with his hand to show he was sorry. I nodded with my hand to tell him it was okay, adjusting myself in my seat and leaning against the closed window. I was still sleepy, but between the rain falling on the car's rooftop, the cars around us honking in the morning, rainy traffic jam and the three morons snoring in the back, I found it hard to go back to sleep. The cold air from outside and the turned on air conditioner did little to help.

Today was supposed to be our free day. There weren't any missions scheduled for today nor classes, and Gojo had left a message in the private chat saying that he would be out this whole weekend, so no one would bother us. I had believed I would be able to sleep a little bit more today than on other days. The rainy sounds outside usually helped to forget the world around me and the blankets led me to the world of dreams. Unfortunately, Ijichi knocked on my door, and on the others', to tell me there was a sudden mission assigned to us that required us to act immediately. It was still early, even before we had to head to class, and it was odd such an urgency to a mission to the first-years. Usually, such was reserved for higher grades of students and Sorcerers, but it was orders from the higher-ups, and we had no say in these matters.

I turned to look at the back seats. The twins and that girl were deep sleep, not even registering the world around them. Nobara and Yuuji were at the doors, her back facing the window, her bag with her nails and hammer on her lap, and his back leaning on his brother's shoulder, head covered by his red hoodie. Yoshi was between those two, head thrown back, arms crossed under his jacket, that he had taken out to cover himself, not bothering his twin's back on him nor Kugisaki's legs over his own. I almost envied them for being able to sleep so carelessly.

“Will we take long to arrive there, Ijichi-san?”

“No. Actually, when we turn to the next right, we'll be able to avoid the traffic and should be able to arrive in a few minutes.”

“I see...”

“Sorry for waking you all this early. I know you like to sleep a bit more on the weekends, Fushiguro-kun.”

“It's okay. You said it was an emergency, so we had to come. Besides, it's not like you could do anything else, but obey the orders.”

He groans at my response, not saying anything else and focusing on the traffic. It was odd, to say the least. For as long as I knew Gojo, I've also known his colleagues, especially Ijichi, his poor junior who often suffered in his hands when doing something he asked, like a ride, something to buy or even babysit me and my sister. He was mostly a nice guy who put up with a lot of unpleasant things, but there wasn't anything bad to say about him, very honest and genuine. There was something bothering him, deeply.

“What did Gojo do this time?”

I asked him.

“Huh? What?”

“You're uncomfortable, Ijichi-san. Gojo must have done something to bother you, right?”

“Oh, no. Gojo-san didn't do anything to me. I was just thinking that it would have been safer for you if he was here, but he hasn't replied to me yet, unfortunately. I think it's just me overthinking. Either way, thank you for worrying Fushiguro-kun.”

I eye him for a moment before nodding. It was really odd. Ijichi is someone who acts confident when doing his work, despite being a pretty reserved person and not the best fighting person. I've seen this plenty of times, him cowering when a big/strong enough curse appears, but being clear to instruct and direct older Jujutsu Students in their missions, being so confident that it felt like a different person. However, even with his cowardice, I never saw him wanting to contact Gojo because of a mission assigned to us. It was new, and it worried me, but I couldn't ask anything, as he had to pay attention to the street. I just hoped he was overthinking, as he said.