55 | Detachment (1)

| i keep delaying this chapter. originally, this was meant to be chapter 54, but i have no idea where my motivation for it went. over three months but finally, here you go. i'm excited to publish this chapter and ty for the votes on 53-54 !!

. . .

Keiko experienced separation from things and people many, many times. This would be the first time part of her soul would be taken away.

She wasn't exactly excited, but she was interested in the result. Rei had been with her for a while even if she didn't know it — so would this process change that bond? Madara and Tsukiko had not given her much information on the subject. Even Itachi knew less than her. She had always seen him as her older brother who had all the answers, and that image just stuck to her since her childhood.

In a way, it felt like she was losing a part of herself. Which, literally, she was.

It also seemed like this was the first time for Rei too. Even though he had been taken from his host before (or vice versa) he had never been pulled from a body. She decided that dwelling on it would not make the extraction hurt less, so she finished the last bit of herbal tea Tsukiko prepared for her and stood up. She had planned on going to the forest to pick some poison flowers but was stopped when her door swung open for her.

"Good afternoon miss- I mean, Keiko!!"

A flash of blue hair swung into her room, almost falling as he tried to spin for a dramatic entrance. He spun around for frantically until he finally found balance and leaned against the wall. Keiko let out a bloody cough as Yuuto hoisted himself back up, wiping the blood off on her gloves and onto the front of her cloak.

"Ever heard of knocking?"

"My father is summoning you." he said enthusiastically, ignoring her question. "He told me to get you since it's time for your ritual thingy. Whatever it's called- He said we've gotta get there by sunset or else you might die!"

He said the last part so casually with an ecstatic smile on his face that Keiko couldn't tell if he didn't understand the gravity of the situation or just didn't understand what that word meant. She assumed it was both.

"And I'll be your driver."

Deidara walked out from behind Yuuto, throwing an arm around the younger ones shoulder and pulling him down. He began to wave at her, hand opening to reveal the mouth on it. Fortunately for her sake, this one didn't speak.

"Don't worry dollface; I'll get you where you need to be before your time runs out."

She gave him a sarcastic smile, nodding her head as she spoke. "Very reassuring. Thanks."

Before the boys could speak another word, she pushed past them and began to walk outside.

"Wow Deidara," Yuuto watched as Keiko walked away, black hair swaying with her body as she did. "She smiled at you. I think that means she likes you."

The blonde ruffled Yuuto's hair, giving him a small pat before following after the girl. "You'll learn one day, kid. See ya later."

Keiko crossed her arms and sighed to herself when she saw her ride. Though it looked harmless, she knew what Deidara's bird could do. It was in the form of an eagle, and though she was usually fond of birds, she hoped that this one would happen to be something else. She pondered whether or not she should just walk.

"I'm afraid you're going to kill me before I even get there." she said, looking at the other with a contemplating expression.

Deidara only chuckled, jumping onto the bird and fixing himself onto it. "Looks like you're just gonna have to hold on, then."