Chapter One: New Girl

Previously:

"Are you excited, Rose?" asked Mom.

"Yup!" I smiled as I replied.

"Japan, here I come!" I whispered to myself.

First day of school as the new girl. The new girl. Being the new girl always sucked for me because unlike the movies I go by unnoticed but today might be different! I'm in a different country and not all schools are the same so maybe something wonderful might happen. Maybe I'll be able to eat lunch on the rooftop like in animes or maybe sit by the window. I continue walking to the school I'll be attending from now on, Shitteiru High School. I've been here before with mom to learn how to even get here. Now that I think about it, she mentioned that a friend of hers has a daughter who also attends this school. She said that she'd walk with me in case I forgot the directions but no one showed up! I guess she's sick or something but I wish she came, I can't tell whether my skirt is too short or not. It's a few inches above my knees which is strange because when I tried it on for the first time, it was up to my knees.

...

I nervously walk into the crowded old school building, trying to remember which classroom I'm supposed to go to. I go to the shoe lockers searching deep into my brain for the answer to my problem until I remember writing it down on my hand. I unclench my sweaty hands to see the faded blue ink. Class 2-b. I have to find my classroom before the bell rings I think to myself as I frantically wander the halls for class 2-b.

...

I wait outside the hall of my classroom waiting for the teacher's (Hirota Sensei) signal to come inside. I don't understand why I have to do this though. It's not like I'm performing in front of the class or anything, I'm only introducing myself. I continue waiting until I hear the faint signal through the door telling me to come inside the classroom. I slide open the door carefully and stare at the class full of faces staring right back at me as I walk to the front. I stand beside Sensei and nodded telling me to introduce myself.

"Hello I'm Honda Rose! Yoroshiku onegaishimasu (Please be nice to me)!" I say bowing enthusiastically. I hear some quiet giggles which automatically makes my face heat up like a tomato!

Hirota Sensei speaks up and I turn to face him, "Rose-san, please sit in the desk next to Ryu-san. Ryu-san please raise your hand."

I turn my head back to the class to see a guy with glasses with his hand raised high up. I smile at him as I walk to my desk by the window. I start looking out the window half-listening to the teacher's lecture. Yay!! It already feels like I'm the heroine of a shoujo manga! I wonder if I'll be able to meet new people. This is definitely going to be an interesting day.

...

I grab my bento out of my bag and begin walking to the rooftop. Even though I'm going to eat on the rooftop for the first time like high school students from animes, it's going to be pretty lonely eating alone... Maybe they'll be someone there to eat with.

I open the door to the rooftop. Empty. I turn around to examine the entire rooftop. Beside the door is a ladder which leads up to a smaller roof over the door. I guess I'll eat up here then, I think to myself as I climb up the ladder. I plop myself down and begin eating my bento until I hear the door open with high girlish voices following it.

I see three girls walking in and sitting on the floor of the rooftop with their bentos.

"There's a new girl here." I hear the girl with black glasses say.