Chapter 12 - on a summer night

"You have visitors?" He said motioning to the stacks of leftover food from earlier.

I stood in front of the sink covering the second set of dishes. "No, I just thought it be best to cook for when I don't have time to." I grabbed a plate and had him sit down. "Here take a plate." Flint happily obliged and began chomping down on some pancakes.

"So what is it you came for if not to visit?" I inquired. The solemn expression returned and he faced me setting down his fork.

"Cassandra Maryvale, one of the local news anchors was found dead a few days ago. Based on some of the evidence we found we deducted that she had been dead for at least a week." I stared at him in confusion.

"Ms. Maryvale is the reporter that harassed you that day at the station. She would have died the day after, several stab wounds to the back and chest." I took a seat myself trying to steady my breathing. That night Ghost face had told me, that day he had seen it all happen.

"There was evidence found at the crime scene. It seems she had an obsession with you and your father's connection to the case." He paused. "Your hair was found at the scene."

I didn't have anything to say to him I simply stared back as he continued to speak.

"Everyone else assumed it had to do with her obsession or her grabbing you like that the day before but I have to ask you, did you have anything to do?"

I shook my head still in shook. "I wouldn't. I-"

Flint cut me off. "I know why they sent you away y/n, you might not remember but I was there." He paused. "I helped your father cover it up." I let out a shaky breath.

"That was different, I took therapy. I can't do it." My voice broke slightly as I reasoned with him.

Flint stood up walking over to me. I shook slightly in my seat trying to calm down and suppress the memories. "I know, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to doubt you." He said calmly enveloping me in a hug.

Tears began to stream down my face as he rocked me gently.

"30 stab wounds to the back and chest. At least five times more than the usual Ghost face victims."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked.

"I think that ghost face heard what she said to you. I take it he didn't like what she said either." I tensed under his grasp. He must have interpreted it as fear because he squeezed my shoulder softly.

"You can help us catch him, I'm sure he's close. He might come by soon if he hasn't." My thoughts were all over the place. If only he knew that he already had and that her dying wasn't just because of what she said, but rather because it was me, she said it to.

I began to feel uncomfortable as flints hand slowly moved down my back. He was tracing circles against my skin but rather than soothing me raving thoughts it maid the hairs on my skin raise.

"Come by the office soon." He whispered into my ear.

I shuddered in disgust as he stood up and began to walk towards the door. I didn't even bother to walk him out only standing up to lock the door once I had heard his car pull out of the driveway.

The sound of blinds hitting the window caused my attention to shift back to the kitchen.

The Large window by the glass doors was open.

I peeked out looking out into the woods. "Ghost face?" I called out.

There was no response.

Tired I closed the door strolled over to the couch dropping onto the cushions.

Images of blood painted my mind. It was night during the summer before high school. I was young, only 14. I couldn't see anything I couldn't remember anything all that was there were my blood soaked hands and two bodies beside me.

That was all I new about what happened. I couldn't remember the events leading up to what happened. I only remember running.

I opened my eyes practically running towards my dads office.

He had to have something on file. It would have been sealed or altered but knowing my father he could never destroy the repot completely.

I began to pull folders from the shelves looking for anything that caught my eyes. File after file there was nothing useful. I slammed one of the folders onto the table causing some of its contents to come flying out. A price of paper slipped under the bookcase and I cursed as I kneeled down to grab it.

My fingers tapped against something.

A folder.

In black sharpie the file was labeled as "June 18th."

It was the date it all happened. I opened the file only to see a faded blue sticky note with a password.

MAJ18723

I inhaled deeply.

"Dad wherever you are just know I love you very much but in this moment I hate you for making it so difficult for me to find things out." I mumbled against the carpet still kneeling on the floor.

I got up and dusted myself off. I got to work logging into the data system on my dads computer. I stared at All the buttons I could click on wondering where he would hide this information. Archive, sealed records, personal files. Button after button nothing offered me with any clue about that day.

I killed two people.

That was as far as I knew.

I wanted to know everything I had forgotten in therapy and everything everyone else involved still knew.

The archived records stated back at me. The case numbers orderly displaying in the corner. BFT60729, QTT20132, MYL44079, the list went on and on. I clicked on the search option at the top entering the code I held.

"Online file unavailable. Request paper file."

My mouse hovered above the request or deny buttons. I couldn't request incriminating records against myself with my dead father's account.

There was no other way.

By now the sun had started to set and I knew the station would soon be closing. We were a small town and 1 or 2 night patrols were common but surveillance at the station was rarely warranted.

I got ready, grabbing anything I might need.

Part of me knew that if I asked flint he most likely would hand me the files himself but I needed something to take my mind off of things.

The house was empty and my heart ached at the thought of ghost face not coming back.

He didn't owe me anything and I suppose I couldn't judge him after all I had done myself. I admired him, he kept doing what I only could do once.

I needed to find out what stopped me and I needed to know now.